saw a magpie got left hooked which I survived only to be

solsurf
solsurf Posts: 489
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Hit by a car turning right a few minutes later. :(

The traffic was static so I was going down the middle and a golf turned right into me, I took his mirror clean off and bashed my knee on the stem. He was very apologetic as he had not signalled. I felt guilty myself as I should have pre empted it (static traffic and the option to turn right)

So I suppose the morel is to be careful out there and I’m going to rejoin the CTC to get 3rd party insurance, as that mirror didn't look cheap :!:

It’s a bit strange as at the time my knee and hand didn’t hurt at all, now they both are refusing to operate.
:(

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you generally feel ok just afterwards, your body then slowly realises it's hurt after the adrenaline wears off
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I had a motorbike crash and broke 2 bones in my right foot and fracturned the left ankle.
    after the crash i picked up my motor bike and said goodby to her ( busted forks on a cheap bike rites it off straight away.) and pushed her to the side of the road. I then walked back and said hello to the nice blond lady that was taking to her kids in the back of the car insted of looking down the road when she pulled out. I did comment that i would have been nice for her to see me b4 this point. I then spotted some grass over a small wall so i took off my jacket climbed over the wall and lay on the grass. as i waited on the ambulace to trun up. By the time it turned up my adrenalin had worn off and i could not even move my feet. took 4 people to get me back over hte wall and in to the ambulance.

I would go to a doc to cheak you out especialy if you have reduced movement.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • solsurf
    Thanks guy for the support, my knee has become slightly bloated and puffy. So I'll get it checked out. :cry:

Just pleased I'm operating ok otherwise, these things happen and for every few thousand miles it's a matter of statistics.

cheers,
    Neil
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I hope you got their insurance details. They pulled out without looking and without indicating, they caused a traffic accident in which someone was injured.

Was it reported to police? Get a solicitor, get injury and bike damage report. Sue them, prosecute them. Find out where they live and let them know you know....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    They pulled out without looking and without indicating, they caused a traffic accident in which someone was injured.
    Exactly. And they admitted the mistake (and therefore liability IMO).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If you're filtering or overtaking I think the responsibility issue is a very grey area.
  • solsurf
    prj45
    If you're filtering or overtaking I think the responsibility issue is a very grey area.

IMO I think it was a bit of 50/50 , the guy was genuine in his apology and it probably caused him a few hundred quid worth of damage to his car against me having to straighten my brake lever and new bar tape.

My knee will mend. I'll just have to put it down to experience. :(

I'd rather spread good karma and vitriol at those that deserve it, this guy didn't deserve it.
  • solsurf
    The most difficult thing will be hiding the injury from my wife, she worries about me cycling everywhere. Anyone got any good excuses for a limp, purple knee and sore arm? :)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    solsurf wrote:
    The most difficult thing will be hiding the injury from my wife, she worries about me cycling everywhere. Anyone got any good excuses for a limp, purple knee and sore arm? :)

Just tell her you are having an affair..... and only the work coal bunker was available at lunchtime.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • solsurf
    Just tell her you are having an affair.....

I'd only get her hopes up :lol: [/quote]