commute times!

darrena8
darrena8 Posts: 74
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting to work now for a few months,its 8 miles each way!

Iam only doing this 2-3 times a week and clocking up an average of about 50miles a week,i know thats not alot compared to some folks on here but iam pretty chuffed with my progress.

Iam just interested to see how far other people travel and what times there clocking up takes me on aveage 40-45mins there and 30-35 mins home....
Fastest time to date is 28mins! Is that any good for a mountain bike,i understand a road bike may be a bit quicker

cheers
Daz

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Depends on how much traffic and stopping points you have to get through, but seems like a good time to me. Keep it up. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I normally cycle 2 - 3 times a week 14 miles each way with 1000ft of climb. When I break the hour, I'm happy.

-Spider-
  • It's about 21 miles, I leave around 5.20am:

On the Vespa in the morning my PB is 31mins, average 33mins; going home it is around 45-50mins

On the Trek it is about 1hr 30mins, I take it fairly easy and keep HR around 140bpm, and rarely RLJ.
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • I commute 6 miles each way in London so time is traffic, red light and suicidal pedestrian dependent. best time so far is 24 mins, slowest after having flu and in the wind has been 36 mins. I'm usually faster on way home but I think that's because the traffic is lighter (I go in early/leave early so am home by 5pm most days.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited November 2009
    Mine is 19 miles each way. Average about 1hr 10mins, +/- 5 mins depending on wind direction. My travel to work is usually a few minutes quicker than coming home because I work to the East of home..tailwind. I do this 4 days a week usually, and carry a laptop in a pannier.
  • Depends on the route I take. It's 27km, if I go direct on the road it's usually 40-45mins in, 50-55 home (home is in the hills, work isn't). The direct offroad commute takes around 1hr. I tag bits on regularly though so usually 1hr-90mins in, 1hr home, but both can go up to 3hrs or so depending on the training and my mood :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7.5 miles each way, countryside with few junctions and only one ATS, somewhat hilly

20-25 minutes on my old mountain bike, probably 2/3 mins quicker on the new dedicated 'hybrid' bike, now carry everything including heavy laptop in panniers (no more sweaty back!)

Commute average by bike is 2/3 times a week depending on weather (no clean up facilities at work) and what I'm doing (external meetings, or travel offsite during the day for example).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I feel like a lightweight next to the times posted here - I doubt my commute is over a mile and a half.

I get from "Christ, is that the time?" to walking into the office in 10 minutes.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    20.5 miles each way
    summer varies between 1:02 (record) and around 1:15
    winter around 1:10 to 1:20, sometimes more it it's really blowing.

Terrain is rolling but fairly gentle hills, so there's around 7-800 ft of climbing on a round trip.

One day I'll break the hour :wink:

Curiously although home is 250ish feet higher than work, the run home is nearly always quicker.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    20.5 miles as well each way with 1900ft of climbing round trip.

Record is bang on the hour.

With the weather as it's been at the moment I've been taking up to 1hr 30 into the wind.

Average is about and hour and 10 each way, do this every day.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    10 miles each way - central London - 40 minutes.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    prawny wrote:
    , do this every day.

Prawny, how come your SCS score is so low then? :P
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    will3 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    , do this every day.

Prawny, how come your SCS score is so low then? :P

Just wait until next year, I only started in june :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    17 Miles, around 1hr 5 to 1 hr 15, depends on London traffic! Best rolling time I've had is 53 minutes but that was on riskier 50mph roads that I no longer do.

Rolling average again varies from 15 to 19 but like to roll (wind dependent) from 20-23mph...

Bring on my clip less pedals :twisted:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Shortest route for me is just under 10 miles each way. I treat a 35 journey time as a fair average but I'll take anything under 40 mins.

PB is 27 mins or so but the road layouts have changed sunstantially since I set that time. It was also under perfect conditions, I was much fitter and had knees that wrked when I set it!

Bob
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    About 16 miles each way on the busy A27, with 1,100 feet of climb going in and 700 coming home. Best time is under the hour on my road bike coming home, worst is over 1.5 hours on my hybrid going in.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • 12.5 miles each way, it's pretty flat except one sharp hill on the way home. One pedestrian infested bit for about a mile which I count as a no-fly zone. Best time is 34:32, average is more likely 40 mins.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I do about 10 miles in and 8 back usually, the shorter route is about 4 miles which I very rarely do.

The 8 mile home run is roughly 35 minutes although I haven't been keeping a close track of it.

If you could see the state of me when I get home, you'd swear I'd just done it on 20.

I'll try to remember my stopwatch tomorrow and report back

:wink:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • 28 miles each way with 644m ascent out, 744m back (i live on the side of a long and horrible hill, it gets longer and more horrible after long rides!). Times vary from 1.27 to 2.05, largely due to the wind. Typically 1.35-1.48, on the lower side of the range in the summer months, higher in winter.
  • benno68
    Mossrider wrote:
    28 miles each way with 644m ascent out, 744m back (i live on the side of a long and horrible hill, it gets longer and more horrible after long rides!). Times vary from 1.27 to 2.05, largely due to the wind. Typically 1.35-1.48, on the lower side of the range in the summer months, higher in winter.

:shock: :shock: :shock: and you manage to work in between???

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Zachariah wrote:
    I feel like a lightweight next to the times posted here - I doubt my commute is over a mile and a half.

I get from "Christ, is that the time?" to walking into the office in 10 minutes.

Love it! I used to have one of those, 7 minutes door to door.

Now it is 20-25 miles-ish depending on route I choose but this week I have seriously wimped out & took a train to cut it to 10 miles each way. 45m on the way there (one big hill -up) 30 to 35m on the way back (one big hill - down!)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    around 10 mile each way with 454 feet of climbing , i only end up a few few feet below on the way home so it evens out both ways.

Pb is 35 minutes but average is around 40.

It also depends on how much you carry, today the rucksack was bulging with .....

innertube,puncture repair kit,instant seal blow up areosol,tools,pump,spare hat ,spare gloves,spare overshoes, socks,windproof,sandwhich box,workclothes(4 day week so taking it all home).

pannier rack,mudguards, 3 front and 4 rear lights on the bike by eck it all adds up :shock:

And to top it all getting ready takes longer this time of year what with base layers etc and putting all the lights etc back on bike so my commute time including all that is actually 10 minutes longer than summer time !!
    FCN 3/5/9
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I do no where near the distance of some of you but.....

on a hybrid-
    Distance: 2.2 miles
    Fastest: 6 minutes
    Slowest: 10 minutes
    Average: 7 minutes

I do tend to run out of gears on some of more downhill sections though so probably won't be able to get much faster. I am thinking of changing either the Chainset or rear cassettes so I can get a bit more speed out of it. (I often leave it until the last minute to get to work)
  • benno68
    _Jon_ wrote:

on a hybrid-

I do tend to run out of gears on some of more downhill sections though so probably won't be able to get much faster. I am thinking of changing either the Chainset or rear cassettes so I can get a bit more speed out of it. (I often leave it until the last minute to get to work)

Do I feel a road bike purchase on the horizon? :)

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Benno68 wrote:
    _Jon_ wrote:

on a hybrid-

Do I feel a road bike purchase on the horizon? :)

Very tempted :)

I just don't want to buy an expensive bike in-case it gets stolen or damaged in the bike shed.
  • benno68
    @_Jon_ There's some nice second hand one's around. Look on the Classifieds on here and eBay of course.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40026

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,380
    Mossrider wrote:
    28 miles each way with 644m ascent out, 744m back (i live on the side of a long and horrible hill, it gets longer and more horrible after long rides!). Times vary from 1.27 to 2.05, largely due to the wind. Typically 1.35-1.48, on the lower side of the range in the summer months, higher in winter.

That would be pretty much my full journey to work (maybe mine would be a bit longer more a bit less climbing)

During the summer I was driving part way and cycling the last 10 mile or so each way, though as my sig says I'm not doing the winter, too dark, wet and windy to be playing with 60 mph traffic

How have you managed your commute?

Presumably you built up to this distance?
    How long did it take to build up the mileage?
    Do you do it every day?
    How do you fit 4 hrs of cycling into your day?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Just shy of 15 miles each way. Mainly on canal paths so loads of narrow bits and pedestrianised areas that slow me down.

PB - 49:22

At the moment it's 65-70 minutes mainly due to everything being so wet.
  • Benno68 wrote:
    Mossrider wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: and you manage to work in between???

No problem. I'm full of endomorphines when I get there. I just make sure I have plenty to eat prior to going back (and a banana stop en route). In winter I can get tired on the way back - the cold certainly has an effect.

I was pleasntly surprised to find another cyclist from the neighbouring village doing a very similar route last week...