New Wheel - What to go for?

ocaaaaa
ocaaaaa Posts: 55
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a Cannondale Synapse , current wheels I have are WH-R550 , had a bit of an accident recently going into the back of a car sideways and looks like my back wheel is a fair bit out of true (worse than it was before) so looking at replacing it

What should I be looking for, so much choice out there but no idea what to get :oops: any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Depends what you are looking for in the wheel and your budget.

Personally I don't think you can go too far wrong with MAVIC Open Pro rims, hubs to match your budget (Tiagra/105/Ultegra or something non-Shimano), and a decent wheel builder to put them together with some quality spokes.

My budget didn't stretch to a wheel builder, but bought a pre-built (probably factory) M:Wheel branded Mavic Open Pro, with 105 hub on the rear. Cost me £90 after a little bartering with my LBS, and another £10 for the tools to swap the rear hub over as I didn't start fettling until Sunday when they were shut!

Rufus.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Parker-international can knock out a handbuilt rear wheel for about £55, I've just got a pair but the rear needed truing after the first ride. But it's been fine since.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Edinburgh Bicycle Coop do excellent budget wheels for about £30. Branded rims-Rigida or similar with alloy hubs and rims. Cannot fault the quality though find you might need to straighten them a teensy bit. Highly reccomeded!
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    If your back wheel is just out of true then why not get it trued?

Of course, there may be more to it that you haven't mentioned in the opening post but from what you've said it sounds fixable.

If, however, that's not the case and a new wheel is required then I'd recommend learning to build them yourself. It's actually not that hard if you follow Roger Musson's book. And if that's not a possibility then I'd say to get hand-builts from a recommended builder.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Pro-Lite Como are cheap and strong. Mavic Aksium are supposed to be bombproof too.
  • Got the LBS to true the wheel for £10 , quite happy with it now - cheaper than getting a new rear wheel :)