Moving to Manchester - any place to ride?

Tallboy
Tallboy Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in Routes
I'm moving to Manchester and wanted to know if there are any places to ride near the city centre by train or cycle? i don't have a car and don't know the area. i love to ride 3-4 times midweek and would love to hear about accessible trails.

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Delamere by train,
    Rivington by train,
    Stockport trails you could ride to if you live in the right area...
    Plus Edale / Jaccob's ladder.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    you could get to llandegla once in a while by train and then ride for a few miles from wrexham station to llandegla
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    jay12 wrote:
    you could get to llandegla once in a while by train and then ride for a few miles from wrexham station to llandegla

Try to find a different route than the road though- it's horrible!

Seriously- just get the train to Edale/Hope/etc and off you go.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Get the Trans Pennine train to Sheffield, get off at Edale and explore the Peak District.

You can't go wrong.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Get the train from Victoria to Todmorden, loads of riding around Calderdale / Rossendale. You could even ride home from there (depending on where in Manchester you are).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Tallboy
    get on the Manchester Riders thread in Rides section - come with us - the more the merrier :D
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    The lakes are just over an hour away. Assuming you have a car :)
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    There are a few around the city centre as well- trafford water park, chorlton park etc. There's a good book- The manchester cycle guide by Niell Simpson, which is a nice starter, and bikemaps.co.uk has loads of maps for around the peaks. To be honest it's a great place as there are hills in every direction!