If you have the swine flu vacine don't ride....

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
as I found out this morning.

I had my jabs yesterday and 'a bit of a sore arm' is an understatement. Cycling isn't an option if you want to put even a modicom of weight onto your arms. :(

It'll be the car to work this evening :(
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I found that out yesterday. It doesn't last tho, pain's just about gone tonight.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I went and had mine last Monday night. Swine Flu and normal..one in each arm.
    I did ride the 8 miles each way to the Surgery.
    Yep next day both arms ached like nobody's business :cry:
    Almost forgot about it until I was talking to somebody in their office and rocked over to one foot and leaned on their door jam....arrggh
    I don't remember my tattoo's hurting like that :shock:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • NGale
    My normal seasonal flu one hasn't caused any problems at all, but the swine flu one has kept me awake most of the night, as soon as I have nodded off I have rolled onto that side :shock:

The only thing I can liken the annoying aching to is the BCG injection :shock: :cry:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ride with an umbrella... that would get you noticed and get you to work in style
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • NGale wrote:
    My normal seasonal flu one hasn't caused any problems at all, but the swine flu one has kept me awake most of the night, as soon as I have nodded off I have rolled onto that side :shock:

The only thing I can liken the annoying aching to is the BCG injection :shock: :cry:

Ditto for me, painful for about 3 days and I got woken up a few times. They asked me whether I was left or right-handed. I said left, they stuck it in the right. But that's also the side I tend to sleep on. I wish they'd asked me which side I slept on.
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

Ditto for me, painful for about 3 days and I got woken up a few times. They asked me whether I was left or right-handed. I said left, they stuck it in the right. But that's also the side I tend to sleep on. I wish they'd asked me which side I slept on.

Yep the paramedic doing my injections asked the same then said the side effects of both vaccines were swollen arms so it didn't make much difference :lol:

I was more concerned by the fact the paramedic admitted he was afraid of needles. I swear he closed his eyes for a few moments :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah Friend of mine had her jab a few weeks back and we ran that night. Normally she can do 8 miles no bother - but she had to jack it in after 2 miles or so. Rest up if you can.
  • iain_j
    Mine didn't hurt until a mate jokingly threatened to hit my arm where I'd had the needle, to which I said "it doesn't hurt anyway" and proceeded to bash my arm myself to prove it.

And it didn't hurt. Until about ten minutes later.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had mine earlier tonight in my left arm which is the side I rest on when reading in bed before/whilst I fall asleep. Work will be fun tomorrow and so will the ride in if my arm is sore.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    You're all a buch of tarts! I had mine a few weeks back on the Saturday morning and on the Sunday I was out with the club knocking off a 70 miler.

Can't say it wasn't painful though and I agree with the sleep thing. Also try and avoid letting a two year old jump up and down on your arm...

Wears off after a few days, so keep riding is what I say! :wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I think I'm missing something. Why are you all getting jabs?
    I know about swine flu and all, but I hadn't heard of people getting injections for it like this.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I know about swine flu and all, but I hadn't heard of people getting injections for it like this.

Because their immune systems are unable to MTFU...
  • iain_j
    Cos the nurse said I should when I went for the seasonal flu jab a few weeks ago.

I've got asthma and I hear tamiflu and asthma don't get on well.
  • Talking of swine flu:

Guy comes into the (crowded) office today.

He's spent the last two days on customer site working right next to a guy who has been DIAGNOSED with Swine flu.

This other guy came in because his co-worker was off sick and someone needed to cover. He finally went home yesterday as he felt too ill.

Which part of the above is the most stupid bit?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iain_j wrote:
    Cos the nurse said I should when I went for the seasonal flu jab a few weeks ago.

I've got asthma and I hear tamiflu and asthma don't get on well.

I get asthma and haven't even been offered the seasonal jab yet let alone the swine flu one. I'm not sure I'd bother with it anyway, I generally haven't in the past.

I'd be interested where you got the info regarding asthma and tamiflu. I can't find anything on the net that suggests there's a problem.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • iain_j
    I got it from a mate who has worse asthma than me, he got it from his doctor.
  • iain_j
    ...but I see this page says there's no need to worry.

Though I don't like the look of the side effects of tamiflu regardless :?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Flu jabs, swine flu jabs...sheesh........

Fit cyclists you lot..hey....last on the list..surely....?
  • NGale
    fossyant wrote:
    Flu jabs, swine flu jabs...sheesh........

Fit cyclists you lot..hey....last on the list..surely....?

I was told to have mine because of my job. We have the frontline ambulance guys come into the control room, so if we go down with it and then pass it onto them it's not exactly good for the patients.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    My doctor's surgery has written to me offering a swine flu jab.

Why? Am baffled, I'm a relatively healthy 42 year old.

Might it be because I had a bad bout of bronchitis last month for which I was given an inhaler???
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    Doctors like administering vaccines because they get paid for it! And which doctors get invited to the flash sales meeting in Fiji and which ones get invited to the one in Birmingham (maybe it is related to who uses the most vaccines)?

Tamiflu was a failing drug found to be ineffective against some strains of seasonal flu. Suddenly it's the wonder drug with sales tripling and production being boosted. It has been shown to reduce flu symptoms by up to a day at most but has side-effects including nausea, stomach cramps, insomnia and nightmares. One study shows that more than half of children get some of these symptoms - there aren't comparable studies for adults.

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArt ... leId=19287
  • redvee
    My arm is OK this morning :D Doesn't feel sore but will see whet gripping and pulling on a set of drop bars does to it later.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Because I have Asthma and that puts me in "at risk group" of serious complications
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • iain_j wrote:
    I got it from a mate who has worse asthma than me, he got it from his doctor

...but I see this page says there's no need to worry.

Though I don't like the look of the side effects of tamiflu regardless :?

It is frustrating when you get such conflicting information on these sort of things. I think I'd generally go with the doctor's opinion though.

As you say, the side effects sound rather grim.

PP

Target free since 2011.
  • Coriander wrote:
    Might it be because I had a bad bout of bronchitis last month for which I was given an inhaler???

Yep, that'll do it.

To be honest if you've had bronchitis that recently it might not be a bad idea. Anything that impairs your ability to clear your lungs increases the chances of developing pneumonia as a complication to flu.

PP

Target free since 2011.
  • Coriander wrote:
    My doctor's surgery has written to me offering a swine flu jab.

Why? Am baffled, I'm a relatively healthy 42 year old.

Wouldn't surprise me, the whole thing of both virus and side effects of tamiflu and winter is lung related. My arms were a bit sore but alreet really.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    DaveR1 wrote:
    Doctors like administering vaccines because they get paid for it!

I dont know about that realy my local Doc is very selective on who gets the jab for pig sniffles. My wife has MS and had always had a suppressed immune system was not automaticaly given the jab and they only agreed after we kicked up a fuss.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • redvee
    No pain when using my left arm to lift stuff but hurt like buggery when I leaned against the van door.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Talking of swine flu:

Guy comes into the (crowded) office today.

He's spent the last two days on customer site working right next to a guy who has been DIAGNOSED with Swine flu.

This other guy came in because his co-worker was off sick and someone needed to cover. He finally went home yesterday as he felt too ill.

Which part of the above is the most stupid bit?

And this probably why - it spread faster in the UK than anywhere else. I work in a hospital and staff have come in coughing there guts up - but adamant they don't have swine flu. !