Anybody used these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zefal ... 360043686/

Are they any good?

Thanks

Steven

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sounds clever - though perhaps a little annoying when you want to get your own wheels off? Probably worth that small gripe, though, if you're at high risk of wheel theft.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Does sound clever, but I've got a theory that these might not be as secure as suggested.

They obviously have a gravity locking mechanism where something drops in or out of a slot when the bike is the right way up. However, rather than having to turn the bike upside down to release the lock, it might be possible to do it by giving the wheel a quick jolt. Coordinating that with opening the quick release might be tricky, but it wouldn't surprise me if it could be done.
  • I use these on my commuting bike:

KF Locking Skewers
    http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/92-472364

They are light and easy to use. I haven't had my wheels stolen yet. You need to carry around the key though, but I just keep it in my panniers.
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I saw those reviewed in a French cycling magazine when they'd just brought them out, but at that time they weren't available in the UK. I thought they looked good and had it in the back of my mind to keep a lookout for them, but this is the first time I've seen them advertised - thanks for the link! May well put them on my Christmas list.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    _Brun_ wrote:
    They obviously have a gravity locking mechanism where something drops in or out of a slot when the bike is the right way up.
    Hmm. I wonder if there's a risk of them getting jammed in the locked position, if some dirt gets in for instance...
  • Hmmn, so, new to the market then? I wonder if C+ will test them?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jetsstar1 wrote:
    I use these on my commuting bike:

KF Locking Skewers

They are light and easy to use. I haven't had my wheels stolen yet. You need to carry around the key though, but I just keep it in my panniers.

I had those on my station bike, but they don't provide as much force as a QR skewer, as I found out when I accellerated away from the lights and my wheel shited in the dropouts, jamming against the chainstay.

Gone back to QRs and carrying an extra lock.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Maybe a magnet might trick them to unlock.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    djrock wrote:

If you were determined enough to be carrying special kit to get them off, you'd just get some mole grips on the other end of them.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Even something far more secure like pinhead locking skewers aren't resistant to a dremel. They're just a delaying tactic. I'd be concerned with reliability on those zefal ones.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    jetsstar1 wrote:
    I use these on my commuting bike:

KF Locking Skewers

I had those on my station bike, but they don't provide as much force as a QR skewer, as I found out when I accellerated away from the lights and my wheel shited in the dropouts, jamming against the chainstay.

Gone back to QRs and carrying an extra lock.

Oh, I haven't had this problem in a couple years of using them. Obviously not giving enough boot at the lights :wink: They also stayed in last week when I got a stick stuck in my spokes and buckled my wheel :x £16 later for a wheel true....
    Anyway, on that note I will give them an extra tweak tonight before I ride home.
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just use Halo bolt throughs, very cheap, very light (<80g/pair), and as secure as most bits on a bike (3 allen keys and you can strip most of a bike anyway!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i bought these pinhead ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pinhead_Duo_Pack_Locking_Skewer_Set/5360029668/ recently and they seem ok. Dead easy to fit & seemed to have no problem tightening them.

Actually I didn't know about the zefal or the other option in the thread, although they seem a slightly different idea.
    For some reason there was no link to other products on wiggle when I saw them, didn't realise there were alternatives... doh. Lesson learnt there.

Next lesson of course being when I get a puncture & discover I've lost the key...
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Aidy wrote:
    djrock wrote:

If you were determined enough to be carrying special kit to get them off, you'd just get some mole grips on the other end of them.

A Magnet special kit? Yes maybe mole grips could but if a magnet works, much easier and most people will have a magnet somewhere.