Lorry driver killed cyclist, threw bike into undergrowth.

number9
number9 Posts: 440
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
With a jaw-droppingly inappropriate comment from the killer driver's father:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... 6230352300

The original story:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 5780942.jp

My God, that is grim. There's little doubt what the judge thought of Stubbs.

Comments

• that is very disturbing and worrying
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    2 years and a conviction for careless driving is an absolute joke.

Should have been life for murder.
    More problems but still living....
  • I've actualy got tears in my eyes reading that account. Its just a shame that there were not any more witnesses to the horrible event.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'm truly shocked at the insensitivity displayed by Frank Stubbs.

I guess it answers the question of how the driver got to be how he is.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sorry but when the bastard gets out if it were my brother I'd do time for taking real justice out on the scum.

2 years for what he did? Joke.

The father defending is a sicking as the act itself. If my son did the same I want him to stand up and be counted for his actions.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just read the Brother's account of the ordeal the family have been through. The lack of justice is gut wrenching.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    The lack of justice is gut wrenching.

I could not think of any other words than what you have written.

Incomprehensible.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    That was murder. What an insult to the victim and his family.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I have to confess that the wording of the outdoorsmagic thread title did raise a small smile. Wonder if it was deliberate.
    Tony Spink Killed - resurrected
  • Just read the Brother's account of the ordeal the family have been through. The lack of justice is gut wrenching.

+1
  • I am utterly shocked. I really couldn't believe what I was reading.

It's taken me over 10 minutes to write those first 2 short sentences. You can only but guess what I originally wrote.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Scum like that should get a frontal lobotomy.
    How can you have such total disregard for taking another humans life, then trying to cover it up?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Daniel B wrote:
    The lack of justice is gut wrenching.

I could not think of any other words than what you have written.

Incomprehensible.
    +1
    I also echo Fungus' post :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Just read the Brother's account of the ordeal the family have been through. The lack of justice is gut wrenching.

+1 more.

sentancing restrictions on killing by motorvehicle are pathetic. Lawmakers should hang their heads in shame.

Deliberately shoot or stab someone = Murder 12-20+ years (aka life - do ~10) accidentally shoot or stab someone - manslaughter 7-10 (do ~5)

Crush someone to death (incomprehensible that you don't know theres something big under the wheels) and discard the evidence like trash in a gutter then lie through your teeth about it = 2 years possibly out in months.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sicko. And to think that I everyday, I put myself at the mercy of these sickos out there. Maybe my wife has a point. Maybe I should give up cycling to work. I have two beautiful young kids at home and I want to see them everyday. I know I am being emotional, but maybe, just maybe, there is indeed a time and place for everything.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    just proves our legal system sucks !

The man should be hung up !
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I couldn't read the brothers account in its entirity.

I'm slowly losing faith in the legal system.

This is a terrible terrible thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Disgusting crime, pitiful jail term.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Old and bad report (and a repeat thread of one already on here), the driver was convicted for offences that were on the statute at the time, the law has since been changed and he could now be done for causing death by careless driving which carries a substantial jail sentance, as it was dangerous driving (and hence death by DD) could not be proved in this case.

If we don't believe the laws are right, change tham (as has happened) but ignoring laws you don't like means you give an excuse to everyone else to ignore those thye don't like.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Jesus.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I just do not even begin to understand why cyclists' lives seem to be of less importance than anyone else's or than material goods.

A cycling lawyer has written about it much more eloquently than I ever could (I posted this on Friday evening, but I don't know if many people saw it) - he makes many, many valid points.

cycling against the car culture
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    Coriander wrote:
    I just do not even begin to understand why cyclists' lives seem to be of less importance than anyone else's or than material goods.

A cycling lawyer has written about it much more eloquently than I ever could (I posted this on Friday evening, but I don't know if many people saw it) - he makes many, many valid points.

cycling against the car culture

Yes, I saw that, it was brilliantly written. There is something very, very wrong with the legal protection of cyclists.

I am afraid Mr Stubbs is still contributing in the first link.
  • 2 year what a joke just shows how much of an ass the law is in a time when we are all trying to promote cycling
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The father, Frank Stubbs, is f*cking distasteful. Should have left the thread alone IMO.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • If this isn't dangerous driving then what the hell is?

This driver has committed manslaughter & basically got away with it. Along with children it shows the legal system also clearly discriminates against cyclists.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want to know what dangerous driving is, do some reasearch, opsi or Bailli are good places to start.

In Summary, dangerous involves a driver under taking an action which he knows to carry more danger than normal driving, careless driving is below that. What the lorry driver did was clearly careless, whether it constituted dangerous is debateable and clearly the jury decided that in the eyes of the law it was not.

I may not always like the law, but when the alternative is anarchy (when the cyclist will have no recourse) its all we have.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    The father, Frank Stubbs, is f*cking distasteful. Should have left the thread alone IMO.

Like father, like son: insist on complete innocence at all times, blame others wherever possible and even when this is not possible. On no account show any moment of contrition because this will be seen as an admission of culpability.
  • What a total disgrace. I'd slaughter the dog if he'd killed my brother and rubbished him like that...
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    If you want to know what dangerous driving is, do some reasearch, opsi or Bailli are good places to start.

In Summary, dangerous involves a driver under taking an action which he knows to carry more danger than normal driving, careless driving is below that. What the lorry driver did was clearly careless, whether it constituted dangerous is debateable and clearly the jury decided that in the eyes of the law it was not.

I may not always like the law, but when the alternative is anarchy (when the cyclist will have no recourse) its all we have.

Simon

That's not really the point is it though? The point is that the law needs changing. The consequences of this man's 'carelessness' behind the wheel of several tonnes of metal, were fatal. The law should punish this. Would I get 2 years for being 'careless' with my shotgun? The law (in this instance) is an ass.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    +1 to all the comments expressed, that is completely incomprehensible, and disgraceful.

It reminds me of a quote from a JG Ballard novel, that basically said killing someone with a motor vehicle is the one reamining way you can legally kill someone, or words to that effect. That was written in 1973, and the fact that nothing has apparently changed in the intervening 26 years is a disgrace.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
This discussion has been closed.