Here we go again!

madandybell
madandybell Posts: 148
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Morning,

Now I know this question has been asked time and time again but I know how you all love to voice your opion on the matter..................so here goes!

What are the options when I've got a grand to spend on C2W! (Road bikes obviousley)

I've got my eye on the Boardman Team Carbon but was wondering what the other alternative options are.

(Bearing in mind Halford's wont purchase bikes at sale price, it has to be a RRP of £1000)

Thanks Andy.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    That's a very popular choice, Andy. I doubt you could go wrong...
    Planet X and Ribble are going to be thrown at you, later... Aslo good options.
    If you like the Boardman, 'follow your heart', as they say. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Do you have to go with Halfords for your C2W bike? After your last experiences with `em(same time last year wasnt it?) I`d be going ANY where BUT Halfords ?

Take a trip over to Ribble and have a look at the new Gran Fondo, it`s a great looking carbon bike.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Unfortunately I am stuck with Halfords, I know the service was crap last year so as soon as I've got the bike the first trip is to my LBS to get it checked/set up.

It only cost me £10 last time to get it sorted so its not too bad!
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    IIRC Halfords will supply any bike as long as they can get hold of it. A friend got his Planet X through them.
  • Cannot get Planet X any more through Halfords or I'd have one. Search on here for Halfords C2W and there are a few threads that will tell you what you can get. Spesh and Trek and available.
    I've gone through the same as you and having tried the Trek 2.1 and both Spesh Allez and Secteur, I've opted for the Ltd Ed Team Carbon. FWIW the guys at Halfords Maidstone have been fantastic. Know a lot about the bike and the set up for the test ride (yes they do allow it) was spot on. I'll see how happy I am with it once I've got it but unlikely to go back and will use my LBS for everything in the future.
    I personally don't think, for the money, there's much better than the Team Carbon - but I'm getting one so biased, except maybe the 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 with 105 groupset, but they've already sold out, and possibly the Planet X, but they're not available to me unfortunately.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Ive just bought a new 08/09 orbea onix for 1k fitted with 105. Its a lovely smooth bike. I would go as far to say that its less harsh than a Biancji full carbon i had in 05 (not been riding since then)

I dont know what people think of the onix but for me even though ive only had it a couple of weeks it seems a great bike.
  • Ribble and Planet-X out of the running, just checked with the Halfords helpline!

Damn it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

GIVE ME FREAKING STRENGTH!

tumblr_ksdumd2Zfx1qa1xnko1_500.gif
  • Doctor to room 1 for Mr Nap D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    *grabs trunks and jumps in too*
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Flasheart wrote:
    *grabs trunks and jumps in too*

Lord Flasheart! I thought you'd got over your elephant fetish?
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • So, back to the matter in hand!

Trek, Giant, Specialized?? can anyone reccomend any of these above the Boardman?
  • What you get for your money, nothing beats the Boardman, however whether this is the best choice for you is another matter, one of the other brands may suit YOU better.

Only YOU can answer that one.

If you want telling what to buy, go buy the Boardman.
  • Look at the possible bikes and then try and test drive them. Unfortunately Halfords won't let you test drive the Boardman :roll: Then choose the one that feels right.

You'll know when you get on it. You get that feeling that it is the one.