7Stanes

eyepic
eyepic Posts: 58
edited November 2009 in Routes
Hello all

I am looking to organise a trip to Scotland for myself and a few mates, say 4-6 of them, next Spring.
We vary in skill and experience (actually not so much the experience) from a mere child of 19(young, fit, fearless and God’s own balance) to Father of the Child (49 ... not yet but by next spring.. no balance but I can crash, and not by any means slim).

Having said that we have done “some” trips in the past . whilst we spend most of our time at Cannock Chase we have spent time at Dalby... good trip, Llandegla...Red OK Black so much better, and CYB... Dragons Back, Tawr, Dragons Back again.. and again..... great place wish the cafe was better(more bacon butties).
:D
What I am after is an idea of a good trip to Scotland bit of fun nice ride no broken bones!!!

Where would you recommend? :)

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited November 2009
    How long do you have? 3 top options I reckon...

Glentress/Innerleithen if you want mixed skills and variety, nothing else caters as well for mixed groups as Glentress. Easily 3 days of quality riding between those two, with Drumlanrig an hour or so away if you want to branch (or root) out. Pretty much the standard Scottish riding trip, this- easy to get to as well. Glentress has one huge advantage, the trails can be ridden pretty hard first time out, it's all designed to have good sightlines and fairly consistent trails so you don't need to always be holding back. At Innerleithen, a wise man exercises a little caution, else they end up in yet another youtube video of short-jumping the double at teh quarry :lol:

But if you want outright quality then Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig- 2 of the best places to ride in the country- are pretty close together, and also close to Mabie and Ae (which I've not ridden at myself). This has the advantage that they're all in the middle of nowhere, so it's not likely that you'll be back this way in a hurry.

And if you want some GNAR! then wait til the lifts are open at Fort William, and do a day there (spend most of the day on the red "DH" then do the Witches Trails) then over to Laggan... You could spend 2 days at Fort William but it starts to stretch a little thin, but one day of really concentrated riding there is absolutely fantastic- the Nevis Red is a gift and some of the descents on teh Witches are breautiful (though it's fire-roady). I guess there's Balnain and Learnie up there as well but I don't know them and they're a fair bit further (though it's great tourist country). Hey, I suppose if you're going that far then there's Golspie ;)

If you're road tripping, then Drumlanrig Ae and Mabie are all just off the M7, and equally Peebles can be worked into a slightly longer route north.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • +1 for glentress and inners.

If you haven't been you really must it just the dogs dangles.

I'm be there next easter hammering the new steed.
  • For a weekend of fun you can`t go far wrong at GT/Inners.

But if you stay in the Dumfries area you are only 1/2hr drive from Ae, Dalbeattie and Mabie. 1hr from Kirry and 1.5hr from Gt/Inners.

Some accom here http://www.7stanes.com/marthrown-of-mabie-i95.html

and http://www.ae7.co.uk/

Marthrown for Mabie and Gubhill for Ae
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Will Inners be holding upto this fine Scottish weather we are having?
  • Would reckon so. Been drying up a bit this afternoon in Dumfries.

http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    think i read that the car park at inners was completely flooded and the road closed
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kirry/Mabie/Dalbeattie. And back in time for tea.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Northwind
    fitch28 wrote:
    think i read that the car park at inners was completely flooded and the road closed

Yup, but it's likely the water levels will be lower come spring :lol: All the trails are above that level so no problems there, and if they're damaged by landslip or erosion they'll almost certainly be fixed by then.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fitch28
    lol, thought stoo was talking about just now
  • Northwind wrote:
    How long do you have? 3 top options I reckon...

and Ae (which I've not ridden at myself). This has the advantage that they're all in the middle of nowhere, so it's not likely that you'll be back this way in a hurry.

The red at Ae is enjoyable. I was there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and, though struggling due to the effects of a cold, I found it very good. No big climbs and a variety of going. It took our group a while to get round due to stops and blethering but you could easily do this in a half day then move on to another venue. We are going back in a couple of weeks it was that good.

As regards accommodation I noticed new timber "wigwams" at Glentress on Saturday - no idea of price but should be reasonable if you don't insist on 5 star butler service.
  • Northwind
    Mmm, I'm stayed in the wigwam place at tyndrum, very nice. Sure, you're living in a garden shed but... Actually, you're just living in a shed. But it's lovely. Especially if they let you have a fire...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    fitch28 wrote:
    lol, thought stoo was talking about just now

I am talking about now. Thought I would pop down on Monday. :?

CONFUSED.
  • fitch28
    not to worry, just checked forestry website, car park and road reopened

:D