Camelback bladders

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Are Camelback bladders really worth the money?
I've tried Tesco's version and it leaks round the filler opening on both mine and the Hubbies and in winter it's not good to get a soggy back.
We have just been using the bottle cages for a bottle of water but bottles are a pain to use on the move and get filthy.
I don't want to splash out ( pun there :lol:) on camelback bladders if they leak too.
We usually fill them the night before to get the water really cold so they must be watertight when laid down in the fridge too.
Many thanks for any help,
Caz xxx

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I've had several in various sizes for various applications, never had a leak from the bladder iteld and the new valves are very good. I seem to remember a vid on the internet of people stamping on full Camelback bladders and them nor bursting. Mouthpicec/hose spares are also readily available. Plus I think Camelback offers a warranty with them, not sure what it covers though.

EDIT this from the CB site
    Omega™ Reservoirs:

CamelBak Products, LLC warrants Omega™ HydroTanium™ and Omega™ Max Gear™ Water Beast™ Reservoirs for the lifetime of the product. All other CamelBak reservoirs are covered by a separate, two-year limited warranty. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, combat or tactical usage, improper care and cleaning, or negligence.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • cant say i've had any problem with the tesco ones, got the one that came with the pack, and also have two of the standalone bladders (2L). i've found that the bladders which you buy seperate from the pack are better, and they also have a new bite valve and new filler cap. bargain for 8 or 9 quid
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Razer_MTB wrote:
    cant say i've had any problem with the tesco ones, got the one that came with the pack, and also have two of the standalone bladders (2L). i've found that the bladders which you buy seperate from the pack are better, and they also have a new bite valve and new filler cap. bargain for 8 or 9 quid

Ours are the standalone ones, got them in aprilish this year, they leak round the filler cap, I don't know if the cap retainig hoop gets caught in the cap or what, but by the time i've got them in the packs they have emptied to below the cap and flooded the packs :?
    I might've bought from a dodgy batch.
    Caz xx
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    got 2, a 2l & 3l never ever leaked once (touches wood!) great bit of kit i'm sure i saw somewhere that you can drive a small car over one with water in them and they are still water tight or maybe it may have been one of my mad dreams. as for keeping them cold i keep mine in freezer after rinsing it out (well) after a ride and if you leave a bit of water in your drink will be chilled all day plus your drink is dresher as welll :)
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    I've had several in various sizes for various applications, never had a leak from the bladder iteld and the new valves are very good. I seem to remember a vid on the internet of people stamping on full Camelback bladders and them nor bursting. Mouthpicec/hose spares are also readily available. Plus I think Camelback offers a warranty with them, not sure what it covers though.

EDIT this from the CB site
    Omega™ Reservoirs:

CamelBak Products, LLC warrants Omega™ HydroTanium™ and Omega™ Max Gear™ Water Beast™ Reservoirs for the lifetime of the product. All other CamelBak reservoirs are covered by a separate, two-year limited warranty. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, combat or tactical usage, improper care and cleaning, or negligence.

Thats good to know, so if i did get some and they leaked, i'd be covered for a refund or another bladder?
    Caz xx
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would assume so, might be worth asking Camelback themselves specifically what it covers.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • IIRC, one of the standalone ones did leak when i bought it, i just took it back and got a replacement free of charge. Would support the faulty batch theory

so in retrospect, i guess i have had a problem with the tesco ones :oops:
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    edited November 2009
    my camelback has never leaked, there is a pic in the zyro catalogue of a landy parked on a full bladder and it not exploding.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    my camelback never leak, there is a pic in the zyro catalogue of a landy parked on a full bladder and it not exploding.

Didn't think i dreamed it :wink:
  • I've had several CB bladders over the years and never had a problem, to be fair they're the industry standard as far as bladdered hydration systems go.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,780
    edited November 2009
    I have 2 Camelbaks and the bladders have never been a problem. PS: if you want to cool the water down in the bladder quicker, just stick a tray's worth of ice cubes in before you set off.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I have 4 Camelbaks for various activities and have never had any problems. I would rather spend the extra for the peace of mind that comes with quality.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • I've tried Tesco's version and it leaks round the filler opening on both mine and the Hubbies and in winter it's not good to get a soggy back.

Caz xxx

I think you've been unlucky and should perhaps take them back and complain?
    I've had the Tesco hydrapack for over 6 months without a single problem, I do think the one grumble (if at all for under a tenner) would be closing the opening, quite hard to fill it right up but you get used to it.

Many people replace the original bladder with a decent 2 litre one I beleive.

As for Camelbaks, never read one single grumble about any model yet. (and I've read tons of reviews)
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I got an Asda walking one for £15 I think and it has been billiant for 6 months now with regular use (please note that this is the Asda own brand one with loads of backpack space also, not the Bell biking specific tha they also sell)

Not a single issue :D I dont think I cound ever justify the camelback prices myself...
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have the Lezyne one (after a Tesco one leaked): http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034777/

I like how the top completely opens so its dead easy to dry out. Also I have landed on my back and it was nearly full and it survived - no leaks / bursting! A good price too.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Another Camelbak fan - I love kit that just works and you can almost forget about.

A Camelbak does this very well.
  • Looks like it's a camelback or 2 for us then, thank you very much all of you :D
    Caz xxx
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Camelbak bladders are very good. So are the Source ones mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I crash landed a stoppie onto my tesco camel pack and it remained watertight and still is 6 months later...

IMO Tesco bladders are better as they have a valve so if you accidentally sit on the mouthpiece you don't get a wet arse (or the person at the lowest point on the bench doesnt anyway)

and at £10 for a bag with bladder, £8 for a bladder or the new tiny bag and bladder for £6..(that doesn't make sense, I know.) they're way better than a camel pack at £50 odd quid!
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
  • Northwind
    IMO Tesco bladders are better as they have a valve so if you accidentally sit on the mouthpiece you don't get a wet ars* (or the person at the lowest point on the bench doesnt anyway)

and at £10 for a bag with bladder, £8 for a bladder or the new tiny bag and bladder for £6..(that doesn't make sense, I know.) they're way better than a camel pack at £50 odd quid!

Camelbacks also have a valve :? You're right, the Tescos are very good value but I've got both and I never use the Tesco one (it's for music festivals!) It's less comfortable when loaded, and doesn't stay in place well on the bike- just a very cheap rucksack. But the bladder's actually fine on mine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    IMO Tesco bladders are better as they have a valve so if you accidentally sit on the mouthpiece you don't get a wet ars* (or the person at the lowest point on the bench doesnt anyway)

Camelbacks also have a valve :? You're right, the Tescos are very good value but I've got both and I never use the Tesco one (it's for music festivals!) It's less comfortable when loaded, and doesn't stay in place well on the bike- just a very cheap rucksack. But the bladder's actually fine on mine.

friend has a mule and if you accidentally sit on it you get a wet arse. the tesco has an on/off valve.

having never owned a camel pack, I cant comment on comfort, though I have no issues with the tesco bag and bladder. you can get more stuff in a camel pack mule bag than a tesco red hydration pack. bu when budget matters...

At the moment i'm prefering the water bottle with cap as the mud seems to get all over the bladder mouth piece and I'm between root canal treatments so biting on a bit of grit will send me crazy with pain...
  • Northwind
    He must have a pretty old Mule then, all the current ones come with teh big bite valve which also has an on/off switch. Or perhaps he just forgot to use it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dunno, it's the orange one, was new in Feb
  • Northwind
    Then it has the valve, he must just not have used it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    If you buy the bladders on their own (i.e. without a backpack) they don't come with the "hydrolock" valve. Costs something ridiculous like about £5 extra to buy one separately. But after soaking everything in my car boot once I decided it was a worthwile extra...
  • I once had a no-brand one, and it was terrible: it tasted so plastic-y that it burnt your mouth...I have since replaced it with a 2L Camelbak, and have had no problems with it at all! Tastes normal (even after leaving water in there for like, a week) have had no problems with leaking either.

Definately worth the money, they are industry standard for a reason. and I think (don't quote me on this) that some of the armed forces use them (America/Australia maybe?).
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)