shimano gear info req!!

beany123
beany123 Posts: 133
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
hi,

I dusted off my bike today (after finding it in the garage under 4yrs of stuff!!) and decided to give it a good clean before i did i went for a quick burn and hardly any of the gears went in right, i noticed i could do with a new chain and cassette so i decided to strip her down and ive ended up worrying myself!!!

I have fitted an 8 speed cassette, I have shimano deore shifters, deore lx rear derailleur and im not too sure what the front mech is! ive just been looking for chains and cassettes online when i had a quick look at new shifters, i saw my shifters (shimano deore) adverised as 9 speed only shifters and could not find any 8 speed deore shifters!!! im being a numpty now and thinking i have the wrong shifters on my bike??? can anyone tell me if shimano did actually make any 8 speed deore shifters??? or are the 9 speeds ok for 8 speed systems?? or do i need to buy a 9 speed cassette but doin this will i need new derailleurs??? soz for not really having a clue but could someone shed some light pls ta
Giant Trance 1

Live to ride

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    9sp shifters dont work on an 8 spd cassette.

Deore has been around for sometime what part number is yours.

or count the clicks. 8 clicks is 9spd.

have you changed/lubed the wires as they are most likely sticky.

you need to identify the parts and get then all the same SPD.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beany123
    hi mate,

shifter sl-m511, rear deraillieur rd-m581, rear mech still on frame and bulb just gone in garage and cant be arsed to change it!! 8 or 9 spd stuff??

again soz for bein a beginner but should shifters click even when cables not connected????

ta
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • beany123
    beany123 wrote:
    hi mate,

shifter sl-m511, rear deraillieur rd-m581, rear mech still on frame and bulb just gone in garage and cant be arsed to change it!! 8 or 9 spd stuff??

again soz for bein a beginner but should shifters click even when cables not connected????

ta
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shifters will still normally click round without cables fitted.....

I have an 8speed combined V-brake right hand setup, not left though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • beany123
    cheers si,

took shifters off this morn and they were clogged to high hell, stripped them down and now they are sweet,

have got to the bottom of my cassestte issues!!! my little shite brother swapped wheels without telling me 2 yrs ago!!! little ba*terd!!

thanks anyways all
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride