Charity Ride

MrChrisP
MrChrisP Posts: 321
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hey all.

I always like to try and do my bit for charity and given that I have quite a few friends and colleagues who have been affected by the recent flooding in Cumbria I thought I'd see if I could organise some kind of fund raising event involving biking.

My idea is for the the event to raise fund for the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund http://www.cumbriafoundation.org/ but I have yet to contact them as this is purely an off the cuff idea I had this afternoon.

This is just a work in progress but I'd like to do something pretty heavy going (for my standards anyway).

I've thought about trying the 7Stanes in 24 hours (I'd have to drive between the sites as I am not a very fit person but would not take advantage of any uplifts etc). It would be driving to one site, cycling up and then down the red routes and then moving onto the next site.

Another idea is possibly the West Highland Way which I know people have done in the past.

I'm basically still looking for idea's though so if you can think of anything that might be a good alternative to either of my two suggestions, or if you can provide any input on how plausible my idea's are then your comments will be hugely appreciated.

I live in Edinburgh so am looking for fairly local routes or places where I can complete the task in one day or by camping/bivouacking overnight.

I'd be doing this on my Kona Scrap so most offroad biking will not be a problem (my fitness however will!).

Also, although I've been involved in organising similar events in the past this is my first attempt at doing it on my lonesome so if anyone has any experience in organising this kind of thing or would simply like to take part then please let me know.

Cheers in advance for any advice or idea's you can give.

<Edit> On a timescale note I'd like to do this before Xmas but it all depends on the weather and how easy it is to get this sort of thing organised.
Kona Stinky Six
Kona Scrap
Scott YZ4

Comments

• richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    How about the Great Glen Way.. Fort william to Inverness Its 80 miles and you can get a train from either end.. Why not do it both ways ..160 miles in 24 hrs! Its mainly off road, canal/ cycle tracks or uses minor roads and has a few good climbs . you will get acommodation at either end and try

http://www.moragslodge.com/

for a half way house, ( its got a bar...)

Ive never cycled it myself but as far as I know its not so off road that non mtb ridere wont make it, although I may be wrong .

I hope to do this run early next year with my 73 yr old dad on his power assist MTB and me on my tricross staying in hostels on the way.

Andy

Andy
  • MrChrisP
    richara3

Cheers dude I didn't even think about that!

The old folks live in Kingussie which is kinda slap bang in the middle of the route as well so if needed I could always stop off there (If ther actual route doesn't divert too far off from the A9)...

Thanks for the suggestion I'll give that a proper look into tomorrow!
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Keep me updated, i like the old charity rides, i'm at the wrong end of the country for the scotish rides but might be able to do something???
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • have you considered doing the coast to coast (whitehaven to tynmouth)? not much of it is off road, but it is a really nice route to cycle. I'd be up for doing something for charity as well though. i live just outside carlisle and know of 2 or 3 different people who have already been affected by the floods.

T
  • II'm also based in Edinburgh and would be well up for either the 7 stanes in 24 hours or great glen options. I've only been back into riding for the last 7 months after many, many, years out the saddle, but ride the Glentress black at least once a week and have a pretty decent to good level of fitness.
  • MrChrisP
    Cheers for the advice guys and yeah to all who want to take part then watch this space.....

I'm going to talk it all over with the charity tomorrow to find out about the legal side of things (wavers etc) and will then start to contact the relevant sites/councils to get permission to run a charity event.

Man it;s a PITA that I can no longer tell people I am going to ride up and down this hill and I want you to donate money to a charity. Instead now I have to also get the landowners permisson and sign a document incase I fall, hurt myself and then sue them!

I am sorry but anyone who actually would sue a landowner for damages after falling off your own bike should in my opinion next time try and fall off a very big cliff!

They'd probably fail though...
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    richara3 wrote:
    How about the Great Glen Way.. Fort william to Inverness Its 80 miles and you can get a train from either end.. Why not do it both ways ..160 miles in 24 hrs! Its mainly off road, canal/ cycle tracks or uses minor roads and has a few good climbs . you will get acommodation at either end and try

http://www.moragslodge.com/

for a half way house, ( its got a bar...)

Ive never cycled it myself but as far as I know its not so off road that non mtb ridere wont make it, although I may be wrong .

I hope to do this run early next year with my 73 yr old dad on his power assist MTB and me on my tricross staying in hostels on the way.

Andy

Andy

That would be epic ...