Fat legs & Rear light fittings

The Running Man
The Running Man Posts: 574
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Is it just me or do these new plastic screw fittings for rear lights catch on anyone else's legs like they do on mine????

I've put the wretched thing as far down my stem as I possibly can and equally as close to the saddle as I can without obscuring the bloomin' light but wherever I put it the screw bit really rubs the inside of my thigh red raw.

Am I missing something somewhere??

Or do I just have fat legs??
Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cateye flex brackets? Yeah, I catch mine too. Annoying. It's worse on my Pearson than my normal commuter. I got fed up and put a minoura space grip on the seatpin and light on that... looks funny but worked and the light is where I want it
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Yep - Cateye.

I tend to ride on the back of the saddle especially when I'm pushing up hills and the choice is either to do a bad impersonation of John Wayne cycling or bleed all over my overshoes.

Thanks JG - I'll definitely try the Minoura option.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Knog skink would solve the problem I think...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    True, did think of that option but I like my horizontal LD610... but you can't have too many knogs :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Smart 1/2 Watt - gotta be brighter than the Cateye. Only a tenner - so fit two !
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    John that is a genius idea, it may well let me to fit another couple of lights, have the rest of the day off :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Yep - very cool. Thanks l_i_t Just looked at them on Wiggle - nice colour options too :)

However already followed JG's advice and ordered a Minoura from Evans.
    Can't bloomin wait now. I had a different bracket that finally gave up the ghost on the weekend so I've ridden with this wretched Cateye torture implement for 2 days and it is driving me MAD :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Surely Cateye must know that while they make nice lights they supply a crap bracket??

Think I'm just off to tell them ..... back in a bit ........
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    You can still buy the old-style cateye brackets to replace the flextight ones - you can trim those edges right down.

I actually manage to catch the LD-6000 in horizontal mode - let alone the bracket - so mount it vertically - can just sneak it in under the saddle pack.

On my Pompino with the rack on I mount it horizontally onto the rack.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I had this problem and both my smart lights went on the stays so now out of the way of my legs.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    After payday I'm going to get one of the Minoura swing grip thingies, I can stick that to my seatpost and raise it over my saddlebag :D then I can stick 2 more rear lights on yay!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Thanks TommyEss - and of course I meant seatpost not stem.

All things being equal I'm not into self harm but this is a close as I've got and I don't think I'll be taking it up as a full time hobby any time soon .....

Just sent Cateye a polite email .... I'm not holding my breath for a reply ....
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Is it just me or do these new plastic screw fittings for rear lights catch on anyone else's legs like they do on mine????

...Or do I just have fat legs??

I don't fit the lights to my leg- I fit them to my bike :evil:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited November 2009
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/Cate ... _-_Spares/

I found the flextight ones for the front light was rubbish so found this lot

The one for a rear rack is quite good too

EDIT

Like CP below, I'm still using the older version for the rear light on my bike that hasn't got an abomination of a rack attached to it
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I threw away the new fitting and used the older cateye version

Keeping it real
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • @spen666 - lol

Reminds me of the classic Goons script,

Bluebottle : "Eccles turn the knob on your side."
    Eccles : I haven't got a knob on my side."

Oh well - I remember them .....
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • @spen666 - lol

Reminds me of the classic Goons script,

Bluebottle : "Eccles turn the knob on your side."
    Eccles : I haven't got a knob on my side."

Oh well - I remember them .....

I do too - always raises a smile to say anything in a bluebottle voice.
    "He's fallen in the wah-ter"
    Neddy's "You rotten swine!"

:D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Attica wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/Cateye/Lights_-_Spares/

I found the flextight ones for the front light was rubbish so found this lot

The one for a rear rack is quite good too

Yeah, they're the ones. Remember you need a clamp (band-y thing) AND a bracket (clippy thing) to get your light to fit. And the rack one is indeed very good.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Flextech bracket - Like a jubilee clip?

If so I had the issues with mine. Fitted it to a 26.4 post and had excess sticking out so made use of some insulation tape to hold the spare tight to the post but I do have spare brackets of the older style. Might look at the Space Grip idea.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    redvee wrote:
    Flextech bracket - Like a jubilee clip?

If so I had the issues with mine. Fitted it to a 26.4 post and had excess sticking out so made use of some insulation tape to hold the spare tight to the post but I do have spare brackets of the older style. Might look at the Space Grip idea.

Yep they're the ones, I find they're prone to slippage on the bars and obviously there's the problem with the rear ones as per the OP.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Look, just stop it! I lost my rear Cateye bracket, and there you go, on-and-on.
    Bracket this, bracket that...

Have you no feelings?
  • Just so you know I bought one of those Minoura space bars as recommended by JonGinge and it works an absolute treat.

Cheers fella!!

:D
    Specialized Rockhopper