Car trouble :(

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
Sorry to talk cars on here, but I've had some cracking advice from you chaps before so had to come back for more.

I purchased a second hand 53 plate Peugeot 307 diesel estate a week ago (to fit the bike in for hols etc.) great condition and drives well.

That is until the second day I had it, when I got in it to drive off and noticed that there was an exaggerated tractor noise and in 1st it would go over 10k revs, then in to 2nd and no faster than 25mph with the foot down, 3rd flat again and not over 50mph. Then after about 2 minutes it came to life and was fine.

This has happened several times now from cold, even in 4th entering the motorway it wouldn't go over 60mph :shock:

I contacted the garage, took the car back, they test drove it and surprise, surprise, “we couldn't find anything wrong with it sir, please come in and pick it up asap”

Any ideas on what it could be? I’m going to run it in to my local garage for a check and if it’s bad going to go back to the selling garage to have them sort it under the 3 month warranty.

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    My experience is that cars with engine trouble always have engine trouble. Take it back to the garage and tell them it's not fit for purpose and you want your money back.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    And stay away of Peugeots. My 2p!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • under the sale of goods act 1979, a car new or used should be of satiafactory quality and be roadworthy.the standard for assessing this is lower for used rather than a new car but if a SAFETY fault developed soon after purchase its quality may be sub standard for its age (i would argue that a car which does not perform as it should is a serious safety issue which can result in serious injury or death) and the price paid, or may not conform to the information given by the dealer. the dealer may be committing an offence by allowing an unroadworthy car to be driven off his premises.

action plan:

1) contact dealer and explain what happened and how many miles/ length of time you you have driven since you have took delivery of the vehicle. if no joy, as in your case

2) get car independently tested by reputable inspector and get a report of the fault and action needed to rememdy the fault.

3) show dealer the report and remind dealer of his legal obligations under the sale of goods act and negoiate the cost of repairs (if you have 3 month warranty then costs should not apply - but not always)

4)if dealer denies his responsibility, contact local trading standards , explain the problem and ask for help, they should advise you on the action to take

try to keep a diary of all the steps you take: phone calls, times, who you spoke to and what they said, any paperwork etc all this can help in the case of disputes of this type. make duplicates of ALL paperwork and dont give dealer your independent report (if you only have one original copy) you'll be surprised how easily it is lost or the dealer never remembers receiveing it. getting replacements are a real hassle
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Try googling around for "exhaust gas recirculation pipe"

I had a similar problem earlier this year that at first was intermittent; no power, low revs only. The garage diagnosed it over the phone and replaced above blocked pipe and problem over. It disappeared at first because there is an engine mode to flush it which cures it temporarily.

Without this, there's no turbo boost and hence no power.

Other posts re fitness for purpose are also worth taking note of.

Bloody cars!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    Ever heard of mechanical sympathy?

Let it warm up a bit before you thrash it :idea:
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,750
    GraemeT wrote:
    Ever heard of mechanical sympathy?

Let it warm up a bit before you thrash it :idea:

Where does he say he trashed it? Any car should run without over-revving or failing to accelerate. +1 for getting the EGR valve checked - had that happen twice on my old Audi. Also, if you are in the AA or RAC get them to look it over for an independent check and then take their report back to the garage. This will also give you ammo if they continue to fail to play ball (if they can't find anything wrong either then maybe it's just you and your lack of mechanical sympathy :lol: ). Another possibility is an engine management fault as these can put a car in 'limp home' mode. usually nothing wrong but a fault is telling the computer there is.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Many thanks for all the replies chaps, it's nice to get some tech info too. Always handy to have a suggestion or 2 when going to the garage!
    Cheers

And +1 on Bloody Cars.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    When you next take it to the garage, make sure they test it by starting it from cold in order that the fault is duplicated. - possibly arrange to deposit it there the night before (if practical)?
    Cycling weakly
  • Oska
    Oska Posts: 13
    I'm having a very similar problem with my Volvo V50 (peugeot engine I think) which I bought second hand a couple of months ago. With mine, I'll be driving along and then the power will drop and I lose all acceleration. The only way to correct it is to put it into neutral and try to rev the engine or if that doesn't work, to pull over, switch off and start again.

Same as you, I took it to the garage and they can't find a fault although they think it is something to do with the turbo charger unit or sensor cutting out. Cars are just too darn complicated these days.

If it wasn't for a 165 mile each way commute twice a week, I'd use my bike.
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    Pross wrote:
    Where does he say he trashed it?
    Sonny73 wrote:
    in 1st it would go over 10k revs

I think taking any diesel above 10krpm would be cranking it up slightly :wink:

@ Sonny73

There may well be something wrong with a blocked pipe but entering the motorway in 4th and trying to go over 60mph from cold is not a great idea. As Graeme T has suggested a bit of mechanical sympathy is well advised. Especially with a Peugeot.

Ideally you should drive sedately for at least a few miles before opening a car up.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Diesels get blocked up with sut. Just something to try. When you get to the motorway and if its quiet enough drop it down to 1st gear and red line it then into 2nd and do the same and so on and so on. If it is blocked up with sut you should notice a big plume of BLACK smoke out the back. Then give it a good blast up the motorway.That should clear it out. The problem with diesels is that people don't drive them hard enough so they get blocked up with sut. And for the record I've had Peugeots for years and never had a problem with them. They have one of the best engines on the market.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Had a similar problem on the other half's VW, it needed a new MAF unit and the problem was sorted. Yours sounds like it could be the same problem or could be that the EGR valve is sticking. Either way, with how long you've had the car I'd follow the consumer advice above and make sure the garage either fixes it satisfactorily or gives you a full refund.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Tonymufc wrote:
    Diesels get blocked up with sut. Just something to try. When you get to the motorway and if its quiet enough drop it down to 1st gear and red line it then into 2nd and do the same and so on and so on. If it is blocked up with sut you should notice a big plume of BLACK smoke out the back. Then give it a good blast up the motorway.That should clear it out. The problem with diesels is that people don't drive them hard enough so they get blocked up with sut. And for the record I've had Peugeots for years and never had a problem with them. They have one of the best engines on the market.

Do you need to go through the gears though? It's not a gear problem by the sounds of it. I remember when my diesel was getting a bit high on emissions, my mechanic simply told me to drive a few miles at 60mph in 3rd - with the same reasoning of ''it's a diesel, it needs a good thrashing.'' Anyhow, it worked for mine, but it wasn't a turbo, so I'm not sure that it's going to work on the OP's car.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Escargot wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

I think a diesel at 10K revs would have thrown a rod. Just because the tacho "reads" 10k doesnt mean its true

The rev counter is often fed via the ECU - maybe thats acting up, based on erroneous rev readings and buggering up the signals to the injectors/solenoids and trying to inject diesel at the wrong time.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Escargot
    LangerDan wrote:
    Escargot wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

I think a diesel at 10K revs would have thrown a rod. Just because the tacho "reads" 10k doesnt mean its true

The rev counter is often fed via the ECU - maybe thats acting up, based on erroneous rev readings and buggering up the signals to the injectors/solenoids and trying to inject diesel at the wrong time.

LOL I was just taking the pee. There's no way a 307 diesel will have 10krpm on the tacho to even register a reading as the engine hasn't a clue what high revs are (I'm sure it was the OP's typo). Not even the Honda S2000 has 10k on the clock :lol:
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ?

ccc02.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited November 2009
    Tonymufc wrote:
  • Escargot
    Don't get me wrong I've fond memories of my 205 and have driven a load of Pugs in my time (hire cars).

Whilst they do some things well producing a decent car is not just about making a good engine and sadly the French did not read the text books when it came to service, reliability and design. The fact that Pugs, Renaults and Citroens are consistently at the bottom of the engineering food chain speaks for itself when compared to Japanese and *some* German cars i.e. BMW pretty much exclusively.
  • Escargot wrote:
    Don't get me wrong I've fond memories of my 205 and have driven a load of Pugs in my time (hire cars).

Whilst they do some things well producing a decent car is not just about making a good engine and sadly the French did not read the text books when it came to service, reliability and design. The fact that Pugs, Renaults and Citroens are consistently at the bottom of the engineering food chain speaks for itself when compared to Japanese and *some* German cars i.e. BMW pretty much exclusively.

+1 on the user friendly stuff... Having to remove the bumper to chage a headlight bulb on the Megane is a pain.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • possibly the exhaust sensor i know nothing about cars but my mate knows a bit so thats his opinion
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Sonny73 wrote:
    ...an exaggerated tractor noise and in 1st it would go over 10k revs, then in to 2nd and no faster than 25mph with the foot down, 3rd flat again and not over 50mph. Then after about 2 minutes it came to life and was fine.

This has happened several times now from cold, even in 4th entering the motorway it wouldn't go over 60mph .

Do you get an 'anti-pollution fault' light showing? A quick google seems to show that 307's can suffer from sudden and unexpected loss of power similar to your description when the ECU starts to play up.

That said, it does sound like a fuel mixture problem to me especially as you say it settles down as the engine warms up. It could be a faulty sensor somewhere or, as someone else has mentioned, a blocked/leaking/missing breather (or =) pipe.

It could be a fuel related problem - poor quality fuel, blocked fuel pipe, faulty pump etc. Also, check the fuel lines for leaks (possibly if it could be taking air in as well as letting fuel out).

Has it got a lot of miles under its belt, if so it could be warn/blocked injectors (you can buy cleaning agents from your local car parts firm). Also, I really don't think you mean 10k revs (unless it has been fitted with a motor bike engine!).
    Sonny73 wrote:
    I purchased a second hand 53 plate Peugeot 307 diesel estate a week ago (to fit the bike in for hols etc.) great condition and drives well.

Peugeot 307 - drives well. Now there are two phrases that don't usually go in the same sentence.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    FWIW a mechanic told me peugeot make the best diesel engines
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Homer J wrote:
    FWIW a mechanic told me peugeot make the best diesel engines

It depends how you define "diesel", "best" and "Peugeot".

For car engines, BMW are acknowledged as making the most advanced and 'sophisticated' diesel engines, especially there 6 cylinder models. BMW diesels are also fitted to a number of other cars including Land Rovers.

Mercedes are accepted as being leaders in larger bore engines (ie truck and bus) in Europe although some of the independents run them close (Perkins or Cummins).

Your Peugeots diesel engine may actually have been either designed by Ford (in partnership with Mazda) and then built by PSA or built by Ford in the first place. PSA (owners of Peugeot) rely on Ford for many of their diesel engines (the British built 2.2l especially and I believe the 1.4). Some PSA engines are also built by independents.

Bob
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Sonny,

When you start it are you waiting for the orange heater coil light to go out? With diesels you must turn the ignition on and wait for the orange light to go out before starting otherwise it can run poorly.
  • beverick wrote:
    For car engines, BMW are acknowledged as making the most advanced and 'sophisticated' diesel engines,
    If you google "BMW turbo failure" you'll find a lot of disgruntled BMW owners who would not be quite so complimentary.
  • rake
    edited November 2009
  • Escargot
    Proof positive that making a decent engine (if it was even that) is not the be all of making a good car. I think the fate of Rover says it all as the K-series along with most their other stuff was dire indeed.

I think it's old news that BMW drivers are *******'s but agree that their cars are a little out of most people's price range. Quality pays for itself though and I'm sure if you did the math there wouldn't be much difference between a BMW and a Pug when it comes to resale, repair costs etc.

However decent engineering need not be expensive. For a first attempt at a smoke box Honda produced a peach with the i-CTDi. Clean, reliable, economic and best of all non diesel sounding :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Sounds like either your fuel filter is getting blocked up and restricting flow, the fuel pump is on it's way out, the injectors are filthy and restricting flow, or the turbo isn't functioning properly. It could be that the exhaust feed into the turbo is full of cr*p, ie soot.

Warm it up, coax it up to speed, change down a gear and put your foot down, this should create enough flow to blow the soot through. You'll see a horrible thick cloud in your rear view mirror if this is the case.

If this isn't the case, then I'd put money on it being the fueling system. If the engine sounds rough, it's probably because its labouring to get up to speed (like trying to accellerate in too high a gear). This is often because it simply can't get enough fuel to accellerate the engine.

Hope this helps........ Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    No idea about the OPs problem but bit put out to find Peugeot are supposed to be dogs - I have fond memories of my old 505 Estate - lovely car to drive - and I had a 205 that never gave many problems - well apart from needing a reconditioned gear box fitted but apart from that...

Citroens on the other hand !

Maybe should start a thread on your worst car ever - just so I can nominate the Talbot Rancho.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rake
    edited November 2009