Another 'what bike' thread

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
My much-loved 20-year-old road bike is on its last legs; lots of bits are knackered including both wheels and the entire drive train, and for the cost of replacing everything I might aswell buy a new bike.

The bike needs to have fittings for proper mudguards and a rack (I commute with a pannier). Nice to have would be brakes that work properly in the wet, and a triple chainset. The bike is going to be used mostly for commuting/SCR (30 miles/day), but I'll probably try a couple of sportives in the Summer and possibly a bit of light touring somewhere hilly (hence the triple ring).

What should be on my shopping list? Max budget is £1000 through Cyclescheme. This is a hard limit, as I haven't been able to find a Cyclescheme retailer who will allow me to top up the voucher amount with cash.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    with a user name like that, surely there is only one choice of bike for you....
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Condor Fratello?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    edited November 2009
    Ribble Audax/Winter 7005.

I think you'll have to take their Bikebuilder option to get a triple at the moment.

I have one which I've had just over a year - I only commute on it in summer*, but do use paniers. Ribble supplied it with a rack, though it needed some fettling to make the rack fit well (it wasn't horizontal as they'd fitted it - see pic).

2852808703_9ab78277b5.jpg

* because I'm afraid of the dark.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Epic cycles do some lovely kinesis bikes for about that. They all take guards and some take racks too.

I was thinking about them this morning looking at all the crap on my frame.

Alternatively strech your budget and get this beauty.

viner-passo-300.jpg

Yummy
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    Kinesis Tripster, have to post this link again, having one of these built for cycle to work next month. working out at around £1,150. Try asking around the kinesis dealers and see if they will take your voucher towards a build, I had no problem with this near me. (Ride Bikes Newcastle doing my build):

http://road.cc/content/news/4135-exclusive-just-kuk-tripster

KUK%20Tripster%20full%20bike.preview_500.jpg[/img][/url]
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Kona Sutra for about £1000 - racks, mudguards, disc brakes, triple:

sutra.jpg

Or more cyclocross with the the Jake series[/url]
  • How about the Tifosi Audax for around £750?
  • or the Charge Juicer Mid?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    My much-loved 20-year-old road bike is on its last legs; lots of bits are knackered including both wheels and the entire drive train, and for the cost of replacing everything I might aswell buy a new bike.

The bike needs to have fittings for proper mudguards and a rack (I commute with a pannier). Nice to have would be brakes that work properly in the wet, and a triple chainset. The bike is going to be used mostly for commuting/SCR (30 miles/day), but I'll probably try a couple of sportives in the Summer and possibly a bit of light touring somewhere hilly (hence the triple ring).

What should be on my shopping list? Max budget is £1000 through Cyclescheme. This is a hard limit, as I haven't been able to find a Cyclescheme retailer who will allow me to top up the voucher amount with cash.

There is a good shop in Bromley who are willing to let you top up the voucher - have a search and I'm sure you'll find it :wink:
  • or the Charge Juicer Mid?

the juicer doesnt have rack mounts
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • SJS Cycles do a great range of spares for older bikes plus Edinburgh Bicycle Coop do some excellent budget wheels As a bike builder can guide you through everything Have both a 19 and 25+ year old bike plus recently put a 27 year old bike back on the road [road bike] and is running better than new tyredocter@hotmail.co.uk