New 29er for 2010?

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Got me a Norco Bigfoot frame, used. Rides well, but there's a hell of a kick-back on rough stuff. Not too bad with a Thudbuster, but staying on the pedals is hardish.

So...for 2010 I'm "thinking" of a 29er, hardtail, possibly Carbon, but more likely Alu.
To be used on the N.Wales trail centres, local secret quarry trails.

Never sat on one, never ridden one, never actually SEEN a live one!
( But, I've never seen Hawaii either, but I fancy going there...)

Only thing is: I tend to swap parts, wheels, tyres from my full-sus to the hardtail. This won't be possible of course, which may limit riding time if parts break etc.
Any suggestions, ideas welcomed!

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm thinking of doing a simular thing,
    i actually got to see and sit on a 29er the other day, been visiting every bike shop i go past and no one stocks them!
    I was heading up past grafam water and they had a spesh 29er, at first it looked like any other hard tail until you sit on it, looking down over the front wheel it looks huge!

they have a demo one, not my size and i dont want a spesh but i want to see what they ride like, grip acceleration etc. (the sales guy recons the bigest difference is getting used to the slow pullaway)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I've gone all 29ers now and sold most of my 26ers as the big wheels roll so much better over everything and they are great in North Wales.

I've not ridden a 26er around Llandegla for around 2 years and I won't be going back to tiny wheels.

I've currently got two 29ers (& sold a 29er GF rig 18 months ago) with a full bouncer 29er on order (Jan/Feb :evil: )

You HAVE to test ride one to feel the difference.

The only 26er I've kept is my On*One SS for rides locally with the dog and flat pedals when i can't be arsed getting kitted up.
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I really like the look of the frames from Niner Bikes. There's a few places around Leeds (Stiff or Chevin Cycles) where you might be able to demo one. I particularly like the S.I.R. 9, espically mated to some of their carbon forks 8)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    how good does that air 9 look!!! wow
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • One of my 29ers (above)
    AIR91.jpg

AIR93.jpg

091122ThisIsWhyIRide.jpg
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I like 'em, definitely smoother than a 26" wheeled equivalent design. I ride mine at Marin and Penmachno and its great round there, not ridden it at Llandegla, but then again I dont like the place much! :lol:
    Here's mine on a recent ride near Stanage edge in the Peak district (hub gear NOT single speed!)
    I test rode an Air9 at Coed-y-Brenin and thought it very harsh on the back end... My singular is a much more forgiving ride. Also I run it on Maxxis Ardents now, and really rate them as a tyre.
    4083012387_52ef2780aa_b.jpg
    and on rigid forks:
    3906285145_ab54d4939f_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    That green one looks the SHIT! Love the styling, and the colour.
    I may be tempted to go Bigwheelcrazy, as there "may" be some cash coming my way.
    Definately need a test ride, so I'll keep me peepers peeled.

Ardents, eh? May look at these too, as my Conti Mnt Kings have given me a few brown-pants-moments recently...
  • gregsd
    John - seen your Niner on STW and I think it's the dogs. Really like the whole look of the bike, the colour and those forks...wow!!!

Being a short-ass, I've gone the the half and half approach and just bought a discounted Trek 69er, which I'm really enjoying. :lol:
  • How short are you?

I'm only 5' 8" :?
  • gregsd
    Only an inch shorter! I know I should try one, but it'sfinding one to demo. I've looked at Niners and the geometry looks perfect in a small frame size. A medium would be too long in the top-tube, certainly to what I'm used to (On-One 16" - 322 ETF).
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    I'm still mulling over getting a 29er for next year. I'm 6'3" and everything I've read has suggested that a 29er would be good for someone of my manly height.

I'd probably go fully rigid and have been looking at this 29er from OnOne.........

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/S ... _Bike.html

Cheehee
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    Would love to have a go on a Tallboy (as the actress said....)

I think the only one Santa Cruz had over here was stolen though