Non-cycling stuff to do near Alpe d'Huez?

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Next Summer my girlfriend & I will be going to Bourg d'Oisans for a couple of weeks Summer hols.

The "rules" are that I can ride every other day. :D

So, now all I need are some ideas of stuff we can do on the non-cycling days, and stuff she can do on my cycling days. Any ideas?

I've stayed in BDO before, but that was purely cycling, and I didn't take any notice of non-riding stuff. :oops:

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    http://www.alpedhuez.com/ete/en/alpedhu ... ummer.html

I'd definitely recommend a paraglide flight if you've never done one before.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    There are outdoor swimming baths at different villages in the valley, and you could always go hiking or climbing.

As well as the via ferrati mentioned in andymiller’s link near Alpe d'Huez, there are other via ferrati a little farther away, 10-12 km towards the SE, i.e. at St. Christophe-en-Oisans and at Venosc. Neither is technically difficult but on the other hand no good for anyone who doesn’t like heights, especially as in places they are almost vertical and very exposed (particularly that as Venosc).

If you’ve no experience of such or no equipment (harness with securing ropes/carabiners, and helmet), you really need to go with an instructor/ guide (there are climbing schools in the valley where you can hire an instructor/guide).

Bild4_gross.jpg
    Bild3_gross.jpg

Where you park to do the St. Christophe via ferrata, is also the start place for rafting tours, so another possible activity.
    And paragliders take off from somewhere near the top, so I imagine there’s a paragliding school thereabouts.
  • Please could you keep your posts on here relevant to cycling

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Enjoy Alpe d'Huez
  • There is loads to do in Grenoble.
    Visit Mt Blanc, Turin, Geneva
    Peter
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Please could you keep your posts on here relevant to cycling

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Enjoy Alpe d'Huez
    Well you don't have to abseil from Venosc, you can always go by bike