Cuts in tires

onthefells
onthefells Posts: 157
edited December 2009 in Workshop
do people just ignore them or have you tried superglue when fully blown up then let the tire down to glue the cut together?

any reason why I shouldn't do the latter?

cheers

Comments

• I think you should try and let us know the results...

You could be a trend-setter!
    left the forum March 2023
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    i'm bored of ruining tyres on bits of flint that works its way onto the roads down here. I had a blow out the other day and was flat long before I could bring the bike to a hault. Newish tyre ruined.

If you find a solution to bringing them back to life let me know.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    onthefells wrote:
    do people just ignore them or have you tried superglue when fully blown up then let the tire down to glue the cut together?

any reason why I shouldn't do the latter?

cheers
    Waste of time.

Have a look after your fist ride and the glue will be gone. Unless the cut is a deep one and through to the canvas I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    I do as onthefells says, and it works.

Tiny little cuts are not worth bothering about, but for deep cuts, I fill with superglue when fully blown up, then let down and leave overnight, and then reinflate the next day. The cut doesn't open up on your next ride - maybe small flint holes do, but I haven't tried filling these, just larger cuts up to about 3mil.
    Don't worry if you put too much glue on, the extra stuff will just wear away.
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I don't even bother letting the tyre down! I simply fill the cut with SG leave overnight and that's it. The waste glue rubs off within a few miles leaving a plugged hole. Works every time for me.
    Dave
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Dangerous stuff, Superglue.

I always worry about ending up with my top lip stuck to my eyelid or something. And for god's sake, wash your hands before you masturbate.
  • jrab
    jrab Posts: 99
    Apparently stuff called ShooGoo (or ShoeGoo, can't remember which) and StormSure is good for this (fixing bike tyres that is, rather than anything mentioned in the previous post....!)

It's stuff used for repairing wetsuits, fishing waders etc - waterproof and dries flexible.

Only seems to come in great big tubes though, which seems a waste for a small nick in a tyre....

Rich.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've used Superglue. It seems to fill in the cut but I have my doubts about whether it
    will return the cut area to full strength(so to speak). If that makes any sense.
  • Just looked at a recent post which may provide a solution.

Sugru - great new invention

Seems to be a silicone based sealant/glue which is also available in a similar form from Loctite. See Halfords for Loctite Superflex Silicone Sealant Black £4.69.

Might give this a go as my 2yr old Michelin krylions have several small cuts, but loads of tread/life left in them.

:D:D:D
  • Another reason why it good to glue slits and holes in tyres is because water can seep in between the outerskin and the kevlar lining and sit there for weeks not escaping, rotting the tyre skin. This has happened to me on older tyres.