Chain rings

lfc_westy
lfc_westy Posts: 87
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
hey im going into darley moore races next year for the U16 nationals [BSCA] and i need some advice on the chain rings to get. The max big ring is 45 and i currently have a 53 on my sram rival Crankset. Where can i get some rings that will fit and also be illegible for the race?

any help appreciated as always
Dan
It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival

Comments

• Spa Cycles do a TA one:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s113p972

they also do cheaper Stronglight ones.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Can you get a compact C/set to use for race days?

That way you can swap over as and when required. Not sure if a 45 tooth would fit standard cranks - try Parker Int?
  • joshposh
    joshposh Posts: 673
    For u16 youth races the maximum chainring is not 45tooth. You can run a 52 tooth chainring accompanied by a shimano ultegra 16-27 cassette which gives you the best gear length possible (A bigger chainring will always feel better and allow you to develop more power). I am a youth u16 and have tried running a 46tooth setup with a 14-25 cassette but its nowhere near as effective as the one above.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    joshposh wrote:
    For u16 youth races the maximum chainring is not 45tooth. You can run a 52 tooth chainring accompanied by a shimano ultegra 16-27 cassette which gives you the best gear length possible (A bigger chainring will always feel better and allow you to develop more power). I am a youth u16 and have tried running a 46tooth setup with a 14-25 cassette but its nowhere near as effective as the one above.

Are you sure?
    Under 16 is 6.93 max

On 23 wheels 52 16 gives 6.82
    46 14 gives 6.90
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Closest you can get is 52 x 16 which gives you 6.94 and would be slightly over the maximum gear but I doubt a gear check will be that accurate as to pick up 1cm. 42 x 13 will give 6.90m which may have been ideal in the 'good old days' when 42 was the standard inner chainring as you could just block off the front mech. Obviously this would restrict you to about 7 or 8 gears in total though. You can get close with a 45t chainring but they aren't very common so in buying a new chainring you may as well either a) change your inner ring to a 42t and block off the mech with a 13 up block b) change the front to a 52t and block off the sprockets smaller that 16t or c) put a 42t outer on for racing and have a full range of very close ratio gears.

EDIT this assumes you are using 700c wheels? If you are using smaller wheels then the ratios would obviously change (not sure where 23" wheels mentioned above came from?)
  • thanks for all of your help ill look into it :)
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival