Tights

Oceanblue
Oceanblue Posts: 158
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Thanksfully this is the beginners section and so I can ask what may turn out to be a daft question.

Winter gear
I do a bit of cross training but have traditionally headed for the gym/pool in the winter. This year I want to get out and so need to purchase gear. I've never purchased tights of any nature and up until recently wouldn't have been seen dead in lycra trousers. So I thought I would buy a pair of running tights and where my cycling shorts below - good idea?

I then tried a pair on this afternoon and was surprised I like them. Right up until I realised that there was a tonne of access material gathered around my shin & heel. They were a large size and made by Ronhill. I checked but didn't other brands such as Skins but they all seem to have one standard leg length.

Do people just live with this? Whats the craic as they say over here...

Ta in advance...

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Buy a smaller size? ;)
    us0.png
  • From self experience cycling shorts under running tights is a big no no. Just invest in a pair of padded bibtights, much less hassle and more comfortable. That way you won't look like Norah Batty 8)
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Bib shorts under tights is not considered a no-no - quite the opposite. The problem with running tights is though that they offer little in the way of protection from the wind, hence why dedicated cycling tights are preferred. Bib tights are preferred further still because they don't leave your lower back exposed. If you can live with a bit of ventilation then a pair of Ronhills over your good bib shorts is a cheap, workable alternative. As for the excess material, you need a smaller size!
  • Just my own experience Gav, I'm not denying it's a cheaper alternative. Mind, I wasn't wearing Ronhill's, I used my tights from my track and field days and I just didn't get on with them. Maybe Ronhill's do work fine.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Fair one. To each there own as they say. :wink:
  • must look about - the only difference in size appeared to the waist and at large things were tight enough ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ron Hills arent great for cycling - fine for walking though. You'll look more silly in baggy tights than you will in proper cycling tights.
  • So is anyone 5ft 9 or inner leg of 29" and able to recommend a decent set? Keen to hear... Thanks all who have contributed so far...
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    For a proper cold weather ride I prefer tights without padding over a pair of old shorts. By 'old' I mean ones that are a little too thin to be 100% respectable uncovered ... I seem to have acquired a lot of them over the years and it seems a shame to waste them.

For a more casual ride eg the 2.5 miles to the gym or to go shopping I find Ron Hills perfectly OK and much quicker to remove for changing. In fact I often just wear a pair of Rohan unpadded shorts underneath which are fine for such a brief journey.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Think about it this way, if you're ok running in running tights then where's the huge leap to wearing cycling tights for cycling. you wouldn't wear speedos to cycle (I hope).

You buy the right kit for the sport you're taking part in. The wrong kit can make you come a cropper. and is likely to cause you trouble. Don't worry how you look.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You'll look as much of a tit wearing ronhills as you would wearing lycra bib tights so go with the proper solution...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have been using Lusso Aqua Repel non padded bibs for several years and found them to be good. I have never had cold legs. You do need to get to a shop and try them on as most are slim fitting.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Think about it this way, if you're ok running in running tights then where's the huge leap to wearing cycling tights for cycling. you wouldn't wear speedos to cycle (I hope).

You buy the right kit for the sport you're taking part in. The wrong kit can make you come a cropper. and is likely to cause you trouble. Don't worry how you look.

+1.

Cyling tights are warm, comfortable & have no excess material flapping around. What's not to like?

Cycling clothing for cycling. Simples. :idea:
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    Ronhill do some cycling-specific tights, called Bikesters (as opposed to their running,specific Tracksters). They are higher at the back than Tracksters, and have some reflective bits on the calves. They seem OK to me - I wear them with some shorts underneath.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I cycle and run and have different tights for both. The chill factor when cycling is considerably higher than running, and so the insulation on the front of the legs is considerably more. Then of course as earlier mentioned the bib tights are great for your back and easier to wear in my opinion.
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    Go for proper cycling bib tights. I go for unpadded ones with a pair of shorts over the top not underneath like most people seem to prefer. The old cheap shorts protect the new expensive ( compared to old shorts) tights from most wear and tear.

A pair of medium lusso tights will more than likely fit you. I am 5'11" with a 31" inside leg and wear a large.

Andy
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Of course cycle specific tights are best . But i have worn ladies 70 dernier ( xlarge of course ) under cycle shorts in temps of 8c -12c when all my "longs 2 were in the wash . Kept me warm ,and much easier to wash and dry than three quarter length . Oh yes go for black as "flesh colour dont seem to match!
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    I use both cycle-specific padded bib tights and when they're all in the wash I sometimes use running tights over bib shorts. I haven't noticed any difference tbh.