MTB wheres the money

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Out of all the MTB disciplines where Is the most money made, and I am guessing right that the top DH riders make the most.
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Biggest audience = more ad revenue, so something that's covered in the olympics?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I guess DH from the clothing/bits/energy drink deals.

being in a few Seasons / Kranked type films doesn't hurt the cause. Apearence fee I'd guess plus more exposure come sponsorship contract negotiation time.

The American / Canadian slopestye people are getting a lot of exposure at the moment.

I 'd bet that the annual income of every pro MTB rider in the world is less than a single top premiership footballer or F1 driver..
  • Sarnian
    P-Jay, this Is what I was thinking about where do professional MTB riders come In the world of sport as regards to making money, we all know there Is a far bit of cash to be made In road cycling If you are at the top.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I think the money is pretty poor compared to road riding.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    The trick is the sponsors. Most MTB sponsors are biking industry guys. The real money comes when outside industry gets involved; car makers, postal services and cigarette companies to name but a few (although fag companies would be kinda funny in MTB :D )

There are some (Nissan for one) coming through, but mostly it is the industry funding itself at the moment, I suspect that Nissan are in it because they feel it's pretty cheap exposure

I'd love to see a massive MTB stage race that could capture the imagination like the tour has. in the US/Canada, the tour is televised live on the travel channel rather than a sports channel. Odd until you watch it and see how beautiful the camera work is (not harmed by the background subject matter ofc). I rekon a GDR stag race could create similarly fantastic footage but ofc the Tour has one thing that MTB can't have behind it to build on ... history and tradition.

I bet I make more money as a wage slave than all but the top MTBers. If you want to be in it, be in it for the sport, not the money. Maybe one day the cash will come through, but not yet.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    (although fag companies would be kinda funny in MTB :D )
    Hehe, i remember when I was a teenager, me and a mate had a plan to start doing some racing, and then write to Lambert & Butler to ask for sponsorship. My mate even designed a possible L&B themed pinstripe top :lol:
  • You get to see a bit of Steve Peat's House in the Seasons video - looks pretty big and nice to me!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Sarnian
    You get to see a bit of Steve Peat's House in the Seasons video - looks pretty big and nice to me!

I noticed that :D
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Sarnian wrote:
    Out of all the MTB disciplines where Is the most money made, and I am guessing right that the top DH riders make the most.

Well how many viewer's would or does a regular MTB comp gain TV wise ?? And how many top flight companies sponsor such events ...

Do you think you will see prize money ever exceeding or even match other sporting events not for a very long time untill the mass public perception can be changed ... Yet pursuit cycling that's a different matter because it gets funding from the Goverment .. and the riders have more chance of becoming household names and gain glory than any mtb rider that may have won an impressive amount of competition's ..

And another aspect is marketing how many Comps are advertised in the local / major press , or you have seen flyers plasterd about town ...

You see more local clubnights advertised that you will ever see any MTB events advertised ... .
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    My canned response when I moderated MBUK for kids who asked "How can i get sponored?" was that There is no money in mountainbiking.

That has never been more true. Currently the World Cup has no title sponsor, as Nissan withdrew at the end of 2009 for budget reasons.

So, if you've got £100,000 to spare and you fancy having your name across every continent, sponsor world cup downhill!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Sarnian wrote:
    You get to see a bit of Steve Peat's House in the Seasons video - looks pretty big and nice to me!

I noticed that :D

Steve was riding for GT in the late 90s and early 00s when the TV was involved and the salaries were ginormous. He also owned Royal, which ran in profit and was then sold to 661, so i imagine that netted him a fair sum.

If nothing else, Steve is clearly a highly competent businessman.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    edited November 2009
    Alex wrote:
    My canned response when I moderated MBUK for kids who asked "How can i get sponored?" was that There is no money in mountainbiking.

That has never been more true. Currently the World Cup has no title sponsor, as Nissan withdrew at the end of 2009 for budget reasons.

So, if you've got £100,000 to spare and you fancy having your name across every continent, sponsor world cup downhill!

Who are the main people in charge of the worldcup downhill events .and look at it from a PR perspective

dependin on location of the events and nearest ....

There is a way of getting a sponsor you just have to know where to look and what type of business would be more than happy having there rooms filled by riders and Spectator's going to watch

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the UCI
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Own a massive bike corporation.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I think it was Rob Warner or one of his booth guests stated that the top DH riders earn around 200,000 euros a year but I don't know whether this includes personal sponsership deals.
  • Alex wrote:

£100k, seriously? That's all they want, for an entire season?

PokerStars World Cup anyone?

I think it'd be a pretty good match up actually, might have to have a word. It worked for the TT. They might even give me free tickets :P