I wiped out on wet leaves this morning.............

will3
will3 Posts: 2,173
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
clearly my tyres are fine, where can I find a less inept rider? :oops:

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    You need to go over your commute route the night before with a har drier, drying the leaves. Then have some sort of cover erected to ensure it stays dry all night.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Unlucky. You need snow tyres with leaves. Nasty things.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I managed to ride through some country lanes covered in a mixture of flooding and leaves
    Then through the wood at the top of the big hill, obviously a ton of leaves there
    Then down the big hill including the hair pin covered in wet leaves

without falling off!!!

My secret? I call the technique "going a bit slower when steering"
  • will3
    vorsprung wrote:
    I managed to ride through some country lanes covered in a mixture of flooding and leaves
    Then through the wood at the top of the big hill, obviously a ton of leaves there
    Then down the big hill including the hair pin covered in wet leaves

without falling off!!!

Yeah what you have to do for the perfect wipeout is take a chicane on a bike path tunnel exit, ignore the usual line you'd take and go for the smoother line that noone takes (coz you can take it a bit quicker) and completely forget that it's covered in slimey leaves (even though you know this because you go through there 10 times a week).

Mondays eh? Engage brain before leafing house (sorry....)

Still it gave me a chance to have a little lie down and a rest as I really wasn't on it this morning.
  • cjcp
    vorsprung wrote:

Nonsense. You are clearly a wizard. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Survived the leaves so far but had a few near misses on this shiny new teflon coated paint they seem to be using for new road markings in London these days.
    ===============================
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
    ===============================
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    cjcp wrote:

Reckon they'd actually help? I reckon the leaves would just slide over each other.

Anyway, so far I've managed to stay upright on the leaves. I also claim the "slow down" solution, coupled with as straight a line or as large an arc as possible. It's working so far.

What I'm not looking forward to is ice. So far, previous winters since I started cycling to work (about 3 years) have been mild enough that I haven't really had to negotiate icy roads.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cjcp
    Agent57 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Reckon they'd actually help? I reckon the leaves would just slide over each other.

Sorry - tongue-in-cheek humour gone wrong. I meant those ice-tyres. Don't know why I put snow!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tread does help a lot with leaves... the increase surface pressure means when the tyre starts to go you tear through to what's underneath rather than sliding over the top.

As tested using my cx tyres.
  • My friend, who is a very experienced rider, fell off last week and broke his femur when he was going very slowly round a corner. A few days later on my MTB I descended down a twisty track covered in leaves with no problem. It seems just a matter of luck whether one hits a slippy patch.
  • will3
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    My friend, who is a very experienced rider, fell off last week and broke his femur when he was going very slowly round a corner. A few days later on my MTB I descended down a twisty track covered in leaves with no problem. It seems just a matter of luck whether one hits a slippy patch.

I think it does depend a bit on what's underneath. This morning, it was
    tree leaves served on leaf puree on a bed of tarmac

yummy.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Had a bemusing incident on leaves last Autumn. Coming down a long, straight 1-in-5 hill in Macclesfield Forest ... there's a clue in the name. Forest road in autumn. Couldn't see the road for leaves. Went dead slow, as slow as I could, then on the slightest of slight bends my back wheel locked up and started drifting sideways. Sod this. Did a controlled drift onto the edge of the road, stopped, put my foot down intending to walk it, and nearly went flat on my back. Hmm, I'm stranded. Can't ride, can't walk. Eventually got down on the bike, dead slow, hoping I wouldn't meet something coming the other way, then I did. A mountain biker appeared at the bottom, started climbing, immediately started skidding, and got off and walked up.

Great fun :lol:
  • Try biking on seaweed, great for learning how to ride on slippy stuff Try a knobbly rear tyre as it does help with a road tyre on the front
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Tyredocter wrote:
    Try biking on seaweed, great for learning how to ride on slippy stuff Try a knobbly rear tyre as it does help with a road tyre on the front

The problem being that by the time the rear tyre gets some grip, the front tyre's already slipped out and you're on your face!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I wiped out on Monday - tiny thin bit of wood separates canal path and grassy section. Went across it and it was like black ice - bike wobbled all over the place until I was flung into a concrete wall. Minor bruises and some grazing.

I was using fairly knobbly tyres but I find with lateral movement on the wet it makes no difference.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    I wiped out on Monday - tiny thin bit of wood separates canal path and grassy section. Went across it and it was like black ice - bike wobbled all over the place until I was flung into a concrete wall. Minor bruises and some grazing.

I was using fairly knobbly tyres but I find with lateral movement on the wet it makes no difference.
    But I guess it was better than the alternative of being thrown into the canal :shock: :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body