loose ultra torque

Gary Marshall
Gary Marshall Posts: 196
edited November 2009 in Workshop
noticed the bottom bracket on my winter bike has a bit of play in it , it's an ultra torque one, any idea which is the likely cause, loose cups or the bolt holding the cranks, couldn't find an allen key to fit it though, assume a special (expensive) tool is required.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If the cup is loose, you need to tighten the cup. External BBs tend to take the same tool anyway so you can get them cheap.

The Central UT bolt is 10mm hex too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • most probably the 10mm bolt is loose - try and tighten it. HARD , VERY HARD

it is a normal 10mm allen key ( a long one)
  • thanks, i think i need to try a different allen key, i had a go on saturday but none fitted.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The campag tool is under a tenner. It's better than an allen key as you can get a spanner on the end of it. I'd also recommend some threadlock on there otherwise it will come loose again eventually.
  • noticed the bottom bracket on my winter bike has a bit of play in it , it's an ultra torque one, any idea which is the likely cause, loose cups or the bolt holding the cranks, couldn't find an allen key to fit it though, assume a special (expensive) tool is required.

http://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguem ... -ul-1.html
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    gundersen wrote:
    most probably the 10mm bolt is loose - try and tighten it. HARD , VERY HARD

42 Nm according to campag, so not that hard really.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    gundersen wrote:
    most probably the 10mm bolt is loose - try and tighten it. HARD , VERY HARD

42 Nm according to campag, so not that hard really.

Problem is that you can't gauge the torque with an allen key. Being the pedantic type, I got the special tool and used a torque wrench.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I also got the tool and used a torque wrench - 42 Nm is the minimum, and it's more than you'd think. Needed a good heave with the wrench, don't think I'd get anywhere near it with an allen key.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I used a torque wrench and it wasn't that hard! I do work in steel construction though so I'm used to "tight" :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • APIII wrote:
    The campag tool is under a tenner. It's better than an allen key as you can get a spanner on the end of it. I'd also recommend some threadlock on there otherwise it will come loose again eventually.

thanks, i've bought the proper tool, rather than a long allen key.
  • APIII wrote:

What effect does tightening the bolt have on what is a porly designed bearing system?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    mmacavity wrote:
    APIII wrote:

What effect does tightening the bolt have on what is a porly designed bearing system?

It stops the chainset falling in half
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mmacavity wrote:
    APIII wrote:

It stops the chainset falling in half

let's hope so
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    This business about a poorly designed system is nonsense. I do 6000 miles a year on an ultratorque system, and have done for the last few years. If there had been a problem, I'm sure it would have manifested itself by now!
  • it's just some who don't tighten the bolt enough - and then blame campagnolo