Mech Hangers....

cee
cee Posts: 4,553
edited November 2009 in MTB general
F*ckin boooooooooooooooooooooooo.

that is all

:twisted:
Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine is welded to the frame. So I'm not likely to snap it, but if I do a new one will cost me £500. Which is nearly twice as much as the average replacable dropout :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    £25 for a new drop out for mine. I've always had a spare for previous bikes but can't bring myself to part with £25 at the mo :?

looking at it I cant see what the heck justifies the £25 pricetag!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    £60 MY LAST ONE COST!!! GRRRR

Magneeeeeeeesium is expensive yo.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ouch :(
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    scale20 wrote:
    looking at it I cant see what the heck justifies the £25 pricetag!

captive audience, i'm afraid. right rip-off.

on a slightly different note - don't pivot cycles make anodised ones? i'll have one in Hope Blue, please santa!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Magnesium for a dropout, LOL, my ally one weighs 10g, so a mag one weighs what, 8g!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    It's about the size of your fist so probably more. If there was a pattern one available I would have bought one.

This is the downside to having a custom bike with a frame from a little company

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22575
  • fortunately both my frames have shared mech hangers with the kona range so have picked them up for a tenner a pop through the kona store or ebay!
    some places are Silly money for them though! the same hangers range from 10Euros in the kona store(£10 delivered of ebay brand new) to £22 through online retailers!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Snapped mine this morning, a mile and a half into my ride. Very annoying.

11845_182941594373_500294373_2742583_2430248_n.jpg

Beats wrecking a £70 mech though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's annoying how many variations of the damn things there are, though. Sure, some bikes do clever things with them but 9/10 frames or more could use the exact same design, so why is it BETD have 200 in stock?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I suppose that bike manufacturers are just arses.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Mine will cost £125 to fix if it snaps ... Funnily enough the same price as a new on-one :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • cee
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    BETD?

£16 on betd....

found them at je james for a tenner.

agree better than a new mech...but it always happens to me at the furthest point away from home! sods law i guess.....

Apart from any downwards pointing bits where i could freewheel, I got towed back to my mates in bonnyrigg from the pentlands!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Worse thing is, I've never just broken a hanger yet (must have got through 8 in the past two years) every time the mech seems to be twisted or snapped beyond repair every time too.

It's probably the part I have to spend money repairing most often.

My flatmates have just broken one off one of my old bikes - single speed for that one as I'm not fixing a bike they broke and I never use anyway!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • cee
    Steve_F wrote:
    Worse thing is, I've never just broken a hanger yet (must have got through 8 in the past two years) every time the mech seems to be twisted or snapped beyond repair every time too.

It's probably the part I have to spend money repairing most often.

My flatmates have just broken one off one of my old bikes - single speed for that one as I'm not fixing a bike they broke and I never use anyway!

yip...I have done two hangers in the last 3 months. the first one...I still need to get the b axel assembly for my xtr mech that broke with it....(looks like it can be replaced!)

haven't yet looked at my SLX mech since sunday.

H.G. Wells.