Which brakes are heavier?

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Got choice of Avid BB cable discs, old - or El Camino hydro discs, newish.
Which is heavier? ( My guess it's the cables...)

Comments

• NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    yeah cables are heavier . as the whole assembly is heavier over all . Cables plus housing, cam system in the calliper ect, but if you want light and powerfull use HS33.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without saying what levers and rotors is impossible to say.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Trawling weight weenies a BB7 setup will likely run 450g for the front brake and 500 for the rear (using normal cables and Shim XT levers). This is comparable with an entry level hydro setup (like HFX) but I suspect that El Caminos are a bit lighter than that (they're not listed on WW) I suppose about 400gr each (hope minis are 400 ea)

HS33s run 800gr the pair so they're in the same ballpark

I'd choose B7s over an entry level hydro setup though. They have superb modulation (although they give some up in max braking power) and are a joy to set up and you'll never have to bleed them (ofc). I'd not put them on a big heavy DH bike but on a XC / trail bike I rekon they're a great choice. HS33s area nice brake and in muddy conditions I'd choose them over any other rim brake I've tried but they can't hold a candle to a disc set up IME.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Thanks everyone: Reason is, I've got both and think the hydros are causing a few problems, eg lever not returning, brakes sticking at the rear, even after servicing.
    Not had problems with the cables, but trying to set up a lt wt enduro bike, Proflex 756, Marzz XC 600, XT/Sram.

Think my Mavis Crosslands and Conti Mtn Kings 2.2 t/less setting the scale over 29lbs.
    May go back to Spec tubed Fast traks, Hope rear/Sram to lessen the load. Also, switching to Deore brake/gear combo may get some weight off. Not obsessed, but like to get lighter

Just thought the discs might be main problem but apparently looking at your info, maybe not.