Getting into race mechanics

The Joe Show
The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys (and gals),

I've been working (as a mechanic) in the bike industry for about 4 years now and i'm looking at maybe taking things further - i've been thinking about trying to get into the world of race mechanics.

I got my Cytech level 2 last year, although i'm assuming this probably isn't enough, is there any other qualifications i should get first?

Or is a case of knowing the right people? I don't really know anymore who races, in a team or not, should i start befriending folks randomly in the hope they do?

Any advice would be great.
Less gears, more beers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is a case of getting known and looking for jobs.

Mosley was advertising last year and others do as well.

But I would start off seeing what goes on at the races and get to know people.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    Cytech 3 would be the next step.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    You're not exactly known on the race scene Joe. If you're serious about it, get in touch and I'll put you in touch with some people who might be able to give you a break.
  • Indeed Alex, i fix bikes somewhat better/more than i ride them. Cheers for that, i'll take that in mind.
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Get a Racing Liscence and go along with a special built bike and show them what you can do bikewise, this should get them interested Did this myself without the liscence and was offered the chance to become a 'mechanique' sadly my Diabetes removed the chance Show them what you can do and get chatting