Flaking Wellgo MG-1's

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 60,780
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I have a set of the gunmetal coloured MG-1's on my Anthem: on one of them the coating is flaking off a fair bit, even on parts that will not get bashed while riding, like the bit in the middle of the pedal directly under the sole of my shoe: on the other one, the coating has only come off where there's been a pedal strike. I now have one two-tone pedal :?

Oddly enough, I've got a black pair on my commuting hack and they haven't chipped/flaked at all...

Has anyone else had this little problem? Not a big deal, but you expect them to last a bit better as they are only 6 months old.

Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mine did this fairly quickly too, I thought it was normal. Not too fussed by it tbh, they still work, and because the metal underneath is a fairly close match to the paint it's not too noticeable. It would be a bigger problem with the black ones I guess.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    I've used my white ones once and the paints coming off :o

Ah well, still look good :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On mine (black) the paint's stayed on except where it's been rubbed or knocked off, which is still most of the pedal. The finish quality isn't very good really, I think they took the (quite sensible) decision that since the finish'll wear off regardless of how much effort you put into it, it might as well be rubbish. A lot of magnesium alloys don't take paint too well, and neither do a lot of alloy castings, but still.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    The paint does come off but it lasts MUCH longer than on DMR pedals for some reason.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,780
    Sounds pretty normal then - as the pedals work fine I'll leave it. If enough of the stuff comes off I'll just have silver pedals....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I have the black ones and the same has happened as Northwind - I really wouldn't worry about it, you wont be able to see them anyway when your riding! :)
  • Yeah, I've had similar (albeit less severe problems) with my black MG-1s. I was a bit disappointed at first, but they're bashed to hell now anyway so I don't care. It doesn't matter if pedals are all scuffed and chipped - shows that you've ridden the bike as it's intended!