What's your average speed Trail or XC ?

trouty65
trouty65 Posts: 65
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I am pushing for a new level of fitness at the moment and have started riding with a faster group to try and achive this.

Just wondered what sort of average speed's you guys hit and over what sort of distances.

With conditions being fairly wet underfoot at the moment, according to my Garmin im averaging 7mph at the moment with distances up to 20 miles and 2500-5500ft of climbing,that's pushing on a bit with the group still waiting 4 me :shock:

I watched a UCI mountainbike event this week and them guys are pushing averages of 15 mph :shock: in dry conditions and of course are Elite athletes. Im going to be aiming for 8 mph in the not too distant future.

Where are you on the average speed scale ? and over what sort of distances ?

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The only way to compare speed is if two people are riding the same trail at the same time.
    Otherwise all bets are off, you can't compare different ground conditions in different places.

The only comparison you can have is the amount of effort over a given time, I just compare the amount of calories I burn on a ride, for instance in the summer on my ride I was doing 26 miles in 2 hours, now it's about 16 miles to burn the same calories.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Very good point R i totally agree. So your average has been up to 13mph and is now down to 8.
    What sort of terrain do you ride and how hilly is it ?

I ride the North Downs/Surrey hills and the occasional trail centre. Id like to try a Xc or Enduro race and being a bit of a techy find av speed figures motivating :D

Thanks paul

Any more fellas/Ladies ?
  • I don't have a speedo because they're gay.... But I estimate an average of 55mph.

Seriously, what's the point in the thread lol?!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Uphill - quite quick
    Downhill - too slow

Sort of evens out.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Trouty65,

Where I ride doesn't have lots of long climbs, Essex is not known for it, but there are a few ups where the lowest gear comes into play.

Most of it is hilly woodland singletrack. At the moment speed is considerably down due to mud levels.

I used to ride the North Downs/Surrey hills back in the mid 80's when we had a regular ride there, alas the group has now dispersed to the four corners of our isle. :(
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I find the best way to work out my fitness is enter marathon type races. I tend to enter Open 5s. They give you split times for stages etc. so you can compare yourself with everyone else. I've concluded that I am very slow up hill (bottom 20% usually), about mid-pack on the flat, and near the front on any decent downhill. Of course this might be partly to do with the 5.5" travel of my Meta 5!

Anyway with the Garmin on a normal ride I'm usually around the 8mph mark but it does depend a lot on the terrain obviously.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Was doing about 25mph yesterday sat up looking at the scenery thinking wow I must be fit

Turned round to ride back home into the howling gale and managed about 4 mph nearly coughing my lungs up
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    normally varies from 7-10 mph depending what im riding and how boggy/technical it is.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Bout 8mph atm but technique slows me down more than fitness. Never fast enough. Get out there and do some races trouty65, only objective way to see where you're at. Racing you'll push yourself harder, 15mph easy ;)