Single speed, 3rd ride thoughts

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

I took the Genesis SS out for the third time around my very wet and muddy local route today. And I am pleased to report I had a great ride with no problems at all. The first two outings were difficult and a real learning curve. Today, however was just like being out on my geared bike. I have modified my route a little to makes thinks a little easier and the bike has lost just over 2 lbs in weight since the last time, which I'm quite sure has made a real difference. The first ride, was just plain hard and almost impossible in parts. The second with a modified route was all doable but still quite hard. This time I found the whole route easy, being able to practically race up the ups I found difficult last time. I think this is more down to the weight loss more than my technique, but it''s made my feel rather good about the whole SS thing and I am keen to try it out on other routes now to see how I get on.

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Sounds good Steve! :D

I had my first run out on a SS today, but also a much modified and shortened route. Not sure I'll ever get up Kingley Vale with just this gear! :shock:

I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier it is to maintain through the muddy months too...
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • All this singlespeed talk is getting me excited. My ER1 conversion kit should be at work tomorrow so lunchtime will be spent fitting it to my P7. Then SS virgin ride around Cannock / FtD Thursday night!!

Can't wait!!
  • I converted one of my old bikes last weekend, and today was my fourth ride. On each ride I've done 17+ miles, and also conquered all the hills I usually love to climb. I've always liked to climb hills, but even after four rides, I can tell that my strength/fitness has increased. I have really surprised myself with what I've managed to achieve on the ss. However, I do realise that there will be certain hills that would be nigh on impossible using the ss.

I have now put on a shorter stem and wider bars (for a bit of extra leverage)...and even a bashring just for aesthetics :roll: . I wasn't sure if I was to keep it as a ss, but I think I will. My immediate aim is to use the ss for approx. 3-4 weeks, and then get on the 27-speed to see how much I've improved.

And the cleaning? It's so easy!

I will never rid myself of the 27-speed, but I think I will keep the ss for the challenge.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • + short stem, wide bars and bash ring.