Post muddy ride check list, what do you take with?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

When out today and got very wet and muddy, which was great until my return to the car. I had a change of cloths, but it was very awkward trying to get out of the muddy, wet cloths and put the clean dry ones back on. To make things worse, it was p!ssing with rain. I found the whole thing a real pain in the @rse. My only alternative was to get a bollocking off the Wife for getting mud all over the kitchen floor, which is even worse!!

What do you do to make things a little easier?

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If it was pissing down with rain, use that as a shower for both you and bike.

Mud is a mess, rain dries off easily, I know what I'd rather worry about ;)
  • Bin the wife.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Back seats down in the car and then put an old sheet / towel / newspaper over the "floor" and you have a slightly larger space to get changed.
    Or get one of those covers that mechanics put on car seats when they are working on the car - can drive home without getting changed and also without getting the car too filthy then.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    Lie a bin bag on the floor at the back of the car, strip down to your pants, quick towel off then throw on something clean and dry, clean shoes on then chuck the dirty stuff in the bin bag and make a sharp getaway before you are arrested for flashing.
  • Darra8
    lochussie wrote:
    Bin the wife.

I have thought about that, on more than one occasion :lol:
  • 3/4 Bib tights under baggies, towel on car seat, whip off baggies, get in car, job done! Still get a bollocking for bringing all the dirty clothes in and dumping them on the floor though :o
  • Just an idea.

Instead of taking clothes off before entering a vehicle, why not do the opposite and put something on?

Like this for example.
    http://www.tools-paint.com/product/Tyve ... e_Tyvek-xl

It's just another way of looking at the problem, a 'coverall' might keep the muck off the car interior, then you take it off along with your mucky clothes in the garage when home again.
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    drive home naked with the heaters on

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    One of the bike mags- possibly WMB- had a product a while back, it was a sort of kitbag that unfolded completely flat, so you could stand on it to change and just drop your manky kit on it, then it folded up with a drawstring and kept all your manky kit inside. Quite clever. I use binbags though as I'm cheap :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    ^^i have a big laundry bag thingy that i do exactly this with...then just tip the contents into the machine when i get home...perfect.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • that is one advantage with trail centers etc in that one can disappear off to the loos looking like the mud monster coming back looking a bit more human.
  • Northwind wrote:
    One of the bike mags- possibly WMB- had a product a while back, it was a sort of kitbag that unfolded completely flat, so you could stand on it to change and just drop your manky kit on it, then it folded up with a drawstring and kept all your manky kit inside. Quite clever. I use binbags though as I'm cheap :lol:

I have one of these, it's a Frostfire Moonbag.

£9.71 with free delivery here:

http://www.pentagondirect.com/p/frostfi ... d-bag-blue

(it's also available in black, the one I have.)

I think it's really good, just open it out and it's a changing mat with a padded bit in the middle, undress, put everything in the bag and pull the drawstrings, job done.

Bikeradar review here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... g-09-34950
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i just stripped off in the passenger side and drove home in my pants yesterday lol.
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    I now have no modesty. I always take a clean set of clothes and a towel. I also have an old towel that I use to stand on

Strip down to boxers. Towel myself dry. Clean dry shirt on. Towel round my waist. Boxers off. Dry boxers and trousers on

Jobs a good un

Oh and always have a flask of soup or coffee on the guy while I am getting dressed and loading the bikes on the roof.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Rag off outside your car and carry a block of soap. Quick shower in the pissing rain, if anybody stares, wave your knob at them and flick v-signs.

Towel off, dry clothes on, home.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Darra8
    dave_hill wrote:
    Rag off outside your car and carry a block of soap. Quick shower in the pissing rain, if anybody stares, wave your knob at them and flick v-signs.

Towel off, dry clothes on, home.

Now that's what you call getting changed it style :lol:
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Darra8 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

When out today and got very wet and muddy, which was great until my return to the car. I had a change of cloths, but it was very awkward trying to get out of the muddy, wet cloths and put the clean dry ones back on. To make things worse, it was p!ssing with rain. I found the whole thing a real pain in the @rse. My only alternative was to get a bollocking off the Wife for getting mud all over the kitchen floor, which is even worse!!

What do you do to make things a little easier?

Steve

Ride home dirty, MTFU
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Bikes on roof, muddy clothes in a waterproof wetsuit bag, full change of clothes.

But most of the time I ride from home so just hose off the bike and jump in the shower.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I have one of these, it's a Frostfire Moonbag.

That's the feller, cheers! Might have to give that a go.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Cheap seat covers and boot liner, bike on rack, remove jacket, muddy shorts and shoes. Towel off remaining mud and drive back in padded shorts and t shirt with heated seats on, bliss.