Road racing in the north west

Once_In_A_Blue_Moon
Once_In_A_Blue_Moon Posts: 269
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
I know the new season is a few months away, but it will seen creep up on us, yet there is no news of any events in the north west region on the BC calendar, but plenty for the rest of the country. Anybody know when we can expect a few races to fill the calendar so I can slowly start to plan for 2010?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Anybody know when we can expect a few races to fill the calendar?

2010. Seriously. 2010.

Most events will only get registered a few months before they are run, unless it is a big annual event and the organizer is....well.... organized.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've heard that there are some 35 mile races in Lower Withington every Tuesday/Wednesday (can't remember which) from April onwards... No idea on details though - It was just something I overheard recently while on a ride.
  • Oh well, just have to be patient then. Shame the south have got themselves organsied :roll: :)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    How difficult is it to set up your own races? Can't find any info on the BC website... Someone told me on a club ride that there are virtually no road races in the Peak District. Just hill climbs. This must change! :!:
  • Not much going on in the Lakes either bhima, nothing in fact. I assume this is to do with elf n safety, but there are many a well run sportive, the infamous Fred Whitton for one. How difficualt can it be to run a road race at the beggining/end of the season, before the flock of tourists take over the place.
  • Pokerface
    Bhima wrote:
    How difficult is it to set up your own races? Can't find any info on the BC website... Someone told me on a club ride that there are virtually no road races in the Peak District. Just hill climbs. This must change! :!:

It's actually pretty difficult.

All you need to know here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... -Documents

You have register as a promoter first and go from there. But everything from risk assessment to staffing has to be taken care of.
  • Risk assessments = a bloody nightmare.
  • Pokerface
    Risk assessments = a bloody nightmare.

Best way is if you can use an exiting course. Then the assessment is done.
  • Pokerface
    Oh well, just have to be patient then. Shame the south have got themselves organsied :roll: :)

The South have a very good cycling presence - and have a few regular leagues. Same events, week in, week out, year in, year out. A lot are run on closed circuits also.

The 'better' weather down there also helps in getting good numbers out to events. Up in the North - it's a little harder as it tends to be colder, wetter, etc - and riders not as likely to show up for races.
  • Bhima wrote:

Hilly/hard circuits = no entrants. Everyone moans when there's no racing to be had, then complains circuits are too hard. Prime example was the NE Divs this year. 40 people entered before the day, think there was 60 on the line.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Actually there were races near to or in the Lakes last season and having seen the provisional BC race calendar for the NW next year there will be again. There was a race in Cockermouth, one in Ulverston, plus there's circuit racing in Lancaster and quite a number between north manchester and the lakes, so if anything anyone living in the lakes (unless you are far north lakes) is well catered for compared to many people who geographically fall within other parts of the NW region.

And with the benefit of the CDNW, the North West has a full calendar of races which are (yes importantly) safely run with lead cars and NEG outriders. Which when you are in the bunch you will appreciate. Its in part due to the pretty busy calenday that I would guess the NW events take so much co-ordinating between clubs (to avoid unnecessary overlap) and it is this rather than lack of organisation which results in the delay.

BC races in the North West start in the first or second week of March and run through to September. Its November, plenty of time to plan your races yet.

Most BC races in the NW were full entries last year (at least at Cat 3/4 anyway)

Does your club put a race on?

Its fairly easy to sit on the sidelines and complain about these things, much of the race organisation is by members of clubs who volunteer their time alongside holding down day jobs and getting out on the bike, not centrally paid BC staff. So join your local club and help with their race if you've got the time to help them get more organised..

Same for you Bhima, join a club, organise a race in the Peak District if "it must change". I also suggest you go and ride the CDNW Bole Hill race if you like a lumpy course. As Pokerface says, it aint as simple as it seems.

Hill climbs are different, they are TTs and don't have bunches of 80 riders. Risk assessment and organisation for holding a race where riders go one at a time over half a mile is far easier than ensuring safety of a rolling bunch of 80 riders doing laps around an 8 mile circuit for 2 1/2 hours (with roads safe enough to accomodate a bunch that size)....
  • Pokerface
    Slow1972 wrote:
    . I also suggest you go and ride the CDNW Bole Hill race if you like a lumpy course. As Pokerface says, it aint as simple as it seems

Bole Hill is run by Sam (Sett Valley Cycles) and my old Club (Buxton CC). And it is a ral bastard of a course. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart!
  • Slow- I don't ride for a club atm (during the summer months I only get 1 Sunday off a month at work, when I'll be at an event), but plan to over the winter months. The BC calendar doesn't show any events for me at the moment, not a single one, but plenty in iother regions, which I was comparing to. I also wasn't aware of many last season, although I did race at Castle Carrock in north Cumbria.

ps I was not/am not complaining? I appreciate it isn't easy to organise and run a race and I certainly wasn't suggesting otherwise. I know all about the risk assessments involved and as mentioned above, running a race on some of our roads simply isn't possible during the summer.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Sorry Blue, twas a rant after a sh**ty day in the office.

These are some as yet unconfirmed dates for your diary

CDNW, Embleton, 21 March
    CDNW, Old Hutton, 21 March
    CDNW, Lazonby, 25 April
    Castle Carrock RR, 9 May
    Calthwaite RR, 16 June
    CDNW Smithfields (Scaleby), 25 July
    CDNW, Ulverston, 1 August
    CDNW Dolphinholme (Scorton) 15 August
    CDNW Bashall Eaves, 29 August

Not commprehensive but a cherry pick of races up your way, plus there's plenty of crits in Lancaster
  • No worries we all have them, I didn't take it personally! I wasn't aware of the CDNW so thanks for the info above, much appreciated.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Bhima wrote:

Hardly any now, rode a few in past though.

Whitworth Show RR for one, started near Matlock - Bakewell - Buxton - towards Ashbourne - back over Longcliffe to finish - nice! Rode one that finished in Bradwell also, Axe Edge RR as a junior, Circuit of Harpur Hill at Buxton, Doveholes RR.

All hard races.
  • Was just having a poke around the West Mids bit of the forthcoming events this event:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... =1&evt_id={C010B074-962E-4E20-A20E-296F552F8349}&evt_seriesid=&evt_myevents=No&RefID=&RefType=&evt_month=All&evt_kw=&evt_regions=West+Midlands&evt_disc=Road+Racing&evt_class=&evt_cat=&evt_series=&evt_resultspp=20
    is £45 in entry fees! Yeah its a 3 stage event but still extortion to me.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Bhima wrote:
    I've heard that there are some 35 mile races in Lower Withington every Tuesday/Wednesday (can't remember which) from April onwards... No idea on details though - It was just something I overheard recently while on a ride.

Yes there are. Its a series of 5 events run under TLI (The League International) rules. If you enter all events then you have to marshall one and ride four. If you enter individually you can ride one, but you need to marshall the next. Details are on the link below, they start the end of April. Link also shows all other provisional dates for 2010.

http://www.theleagueinternational.com/n ... inland.htm
  • Hi, Hard working CDNW volunteers are busy finalising sponsorship deals for 2010 with Science in Sport and Maxgear.co.uk. This helps to keep down race entry fees - some of the lowest in the UK. Keep checking the CDNW.org website - they also issue regular e-newsletters if you are a registered member / club. It all kicks off in March.... :)