Waterproof overshoes

befamati
befamati Posts: 3
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all!

New to the site. I'm looking for some waterproof overshoes you can wear over normal shoes (Clarks, for example). I think that would be the perfect xmas present for my hubby who commutes to work by bike every day.

I've read many good reviews about "Endura road overshoes" and would love to order those but I guess the wouldn't fit over normal (business) shoes.

Maybe you've got some ideas and could recommend some overshoes that would be appropiate?

Thanks a lot.

Tina

Comments

• I've got a pair of these precisely for that reason. They fit over my MTB SPDs and should happily fit over normal shoes as well. Seem waterproof so far but not sure if'll they'll add as much warmth as neoprene ones.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • I bought some from a shop, they're knee-length, made of the boil-in-bag type fabric, and designed for normal shoes, cost about £10 and very waterproof indeed... can I find them though? Nope...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Recently bought a pair of these these (from an eBay seller- they seem to be end-of-line). Just been out for a short ride, coped very nicely with the wind, definitely showerproof as well & can't see them not coping with heavier rain.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    These are ok if you have either trousers or tights to go over the top of them to stop water running down.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/84 ... boots.html
  • My overshoes work, by the way - found out for sure this morning with lovely dry toes when I got to the office. :D Now I just need to get some waterproof gloves - any threads around on those? (Yes, yes, I know - UTFS!)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • I have a pair of BBB neoprene ones that are now in their third year, and should do me for this winter. Together with sealskinz socks, they're about as waterproof as you can get...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I used the Altura Night Vision ones for 2 years and they served me very well when riding in my MTB shoes, i.e. like trainers. Now the night visions have worn out (too much walking in them) and that I'm using road shoes I've switched to the Altura Race ones as they look a little more streamlined. They've been great so far.

Don't go for the tight neoprene ones. They look great with slim shoes but for wider shoes they are a pain to get on and off and doing this regularly, i.e. twice a day, you will eventually rip them and have to buy the ones you should have bought in the first place. Listen to the voice of my experience :wink:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    BBB Hardwear Aquashield ones - survived all this heavy rain. No water ingress at all. Well worth it - stops the shoes becoming musty and smelly....
  • befamati - just aim for the mountain bike style ones and they should fit over standard shoes. Road style ones may be a bit tight. Nive idea for a pressie. Hope your hubby enjoys. The recommendations above are all reasonable but I'd recommend something with reflective striping to draw attention in the dark.
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • check these out, bought them 2 months ago and feet nice and dry, havce used them with flat shoes and SPD's

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45050
    Planet x Pro Carbon - White
    Old 1987 Peugeot Comete - Had since new my true love
    Trek 7200 - Commuter
    Specialized Rockhooper SL
    Coming Soon:
    BMX + Cyclocross
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Now I just need to get some waterproof gloves - any threads around on those? (Yes, yes, I know - UTFS!)

Just got some pretty cheap altura cresta gloves - work well.
  • Thanks for all your advice. I'll order my hubby some Altura Night Vision overshoes. I guess the neoprene ones would be too tight to go over normal shoes after all.