2005 World's, the GB team, John Herety, Wegelius and Southam

2»

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    You don't know and I don't know the exact rules for the UCI world Championships

If you race a bike, then you certainly should, although surprisingly many don't. what percentage of footballers (including amateurs) play the game without knowing the rules?

What's even more strange is to start a sentence with "i don't know the exact rules" before stating they've been broken... :lol: :roll:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    aarw wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    You don't know and I don't know the exact rules for the UCI world Championships

If you race a bike, then you certainly should, although surprisingly many don't. what percentage of footballers (including amateurs) play the game without knowing the rules?

What's even more strange is to start a sentence with "i don't know the exact rules" before stating they've been broken... :lol: :roll:
    You're twisting and making things up and reading what you want to believe. Nowhere have I said that they had broken the rules....I had said they cheated the fans, staff and team-mates....which is something altogether different.

Maybe your misunderstanding was because I did say their actions could possibly be corrupt if their action was in another sport but you and many others seem to think that because its cycling, that accepting pre race bribes to work against your team mates is perfectly acceptable. I'm not that blinkered.

All the same, I'll accept your apology for the smart arse comments you made :wink: .
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    @Top_Bhoy you're fighting a losing battle on this one. This is one of the nuances that makes cycling different. It's one of the things we love about the sport.

It's not cricket no, but that's the point.

Evans undoubtedly paid Gilbert for some help this year. Especially since he was getting none from his team. Should he hand back his jersey because he did what everyone else before him did and everyone else around him was doing?

Most of us know it's going on and accept it. The UCI know, the pro teams know and the countries know.

The GB Team didn't like it because they didn't have anybody who had a hope of winning. But they expected the team to ride for a lost cause while everyone else was brokering help.

We'll see if Team GB are quite so righteous if Cav is up for a win.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • aarw
    I'm certainly not advocating or saying it's acceptable. I do accept it happens though.

Not obeying your team orders is far from an illigal activity though. Maybe morally wrong and disrepectful of your team manager, leader, jersey and team, sure. I accept that.

On the day though, the two british lads were looking after their own, those who pay their bills, their employers, those who actually had a chance to do something on the day. They weren't riding for another country, they were riding for a (trade) team. i think they can be forgiven for not having much hope in Hammond the team 'leader'.

It would be more in Wegelius' interest to have the rainbow stripes in his trade team (liquigas at the time?) than on Hammonds back in Collstrop or wherever he was - there was never any chance of that anyway.

They were looking after their cycling careers, which BC certainly weren't at that time.
  • dulldave wrote:
    We'll see if Team GB are quite so righteous if Cav is up for a win.
    +1
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • top_bhoy
    dulldave wrote:
    @Top_Bhoy you're fighting a losing battle on this one. This is one of the nuances that makes cycling different. It's one of the things we love about the sport.
    Sorry to disappoint but I'm not fighting any battle...simply stating that I believe the actions of the 2 riders (and their subsequent punishment) was wrong. Others will disagree with me, others agree and others somewhere in the middle. Thats life. Regarding the nuances you talk about (accepting bribes to attempt to race fix in the world championships), they are obviously not the type of nuances I like to see in any sport.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    'Favours' are part of pro cycling. Always have been and always will. You need to have allies to improve your chances, and if your team has no hope in one race - why not help out another team ? You may need a small favour in the next race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Classing this in the same vein as doping is just ridiculous. It has always been part of cycling. I can't even see it is classed as cheating to be honest, someone has to drive the race along or it would be pointless. I doubt there's any rules preventing it although it did used to be against the rules in amateur champs in the UK for riders to ride for anyone other than themselves 15 - 20 years ago!
  • aarw
    If your conernd of the corruption at this level, how have not yet left the sport over the level of corruption on a doping level?

I completely see where you're coming from Top-Bhoy but we're talking about alegencies here, not race fixing. Cadel didn't win the WC because it was fixed.
  • dulldave
    race fixing? Have a word!
  • dulldave
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    they are obviously not the type of nuances I like to see in any sport.

Stop watching cycling then, because it happens in practically every race you're watching.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ssshhh - please dont anyone mention the post-tour criteriums - TB may have a seizure....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    cougie wrote:
    Ssshhh - please dont anyone mention the post-tour criteriums - TB may have a seizure....

:lol: A friend of mine was racing in one of those years back and had the nerve to beat one of the star pros. Didn't go down too well!
  • top_bhoy
    cougie wrote:
    Hardly :wink:
  • koppenberg wrote:
    What a lot of utter dribble some of you are saying about this :roll:

Clearly you do not understand Pro cycling,stick to sportives/play races-let the Pros get on with the racing.

So for years at the worlds GB does nothing,this year we see riders on the front pulling-some teams have to-looked good for GB the brits are part of the race :D

Herety,what a loss now to GB Sky etc,nobody else is close to him yet he is now wasted away playing around in UK premiers-He should be at the head of Sky.

Now in the next few worlds or London 2012,what if GB employ the services of a non GB sky rider to help Cav win,is that cheating-would you make Cav give back the win?
    Oh forget in the world of the cycle sportive this is not the way to play is it.
    With the greatest respect, you have completely misunderstood the point.
    Dan
  • Pross wrote:
    cougie wrote:

:lol: A friend of mine was racing in one of those years back and had the nerve to beat one of the star pros. Didn't go down too well!

That was Hinault made his name I believe... Attacked off the front of a Post-Tour Crit and refused to give it up until he'd been sufficiently paid-off by Merckx et al. Love that guy!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent