Ryan Air bike weight limit?

ian.r.mcdonald
ian.r.mcdonald Posts: 177
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
Having flown several times to Pisa- i have noticed prior to booking again a 20 kilo weight limit on bikes

Has this been reduced changed from last year? I thought my last flight was 25 kilo

I think I can just get the bikebox/bike inside this but its grief not to be able to put tools and kit in the box

Comments

• From Ryanair's terms and conditions:

"Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £40/€40 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £50/€50 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo".

"The excess baggage fee is currently charged at the rate of £20/€20 per kilo (or local currency equivalent)."

"Bicycles - MUST be contained in a protective box or bag."

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

They most probably charge extra if the bicycle has more than one wheel!!
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • Thanks for that- have used them 6 times

the question was are you aware if it has changed?- if not I will stop fretting as have never weighed over before

if they have moved down from 25 kilo i need to start paring additional kit down
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Thanks for that- have used them 6 times

the question was are you aware if it has changed?- if not I will stop fretting as have never weighed over before

if they have moved down from 25 kilo i need to start paring additional kit down

If I've read it correctly, I think the upshot of the previous post is that it will cost £140 to ship a 25 kilo bike (£40 plus £20 for each kilo over 20kg). To which I think my response would be 'Ay Caramba'.

I don't whether this always was the case, or whether Ryanair enforce it, but it seems like a bit of a gamble.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    20 kilos is one heavy bike plus bike bag. If a more than average road bike weighs 9kilos, that allows 11 kilos for the bike box/ bag. That surely shouldn't be a problem.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Flew Ryanair at the end of October and nearly got 'done' for exceeding 20kgs. The new limit came in for flights booked after the 1st Oct 2009 (so they told me at Dublin airport) and I got away with it because my ticket was booked in July.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Try not to fly Ryan Air, they have margins and are looking at all ways to save and make money, for goodness sake they want to charge for having a wee. I flew Monarch last week to Tenerife, 20kg baggage limit included in the ticket, and if you took an extra bag it cost £16 for up to 20kg, got my bike box on for £16 so saved loads of messing about and money on hiring a bike in Tenerife. :D:D

December, cross country running time, don't you just love the mud and muck?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Consider yourself lucky.

Globespan charge £20 each way for a bike with a limit of 16kg and £8/lg excess! :shock:

I guess my saddle & pedals at least are going in the checked luggage.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Dont know about bikes but I now UPS the familys skis to and from station Cheaper and easier than flying do it this way and no hold ups at the airport straight on straight off simple. Andy Morgan www.madaboutthemountains.co.uk
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk
  • andymiller
    Dont know about bikes but I now UPS the familys skis to and from station Cheaper and easier than flying do it this way and no hold ups at the airport straight on straight off simple. Andy Morgan www.madaboutthemountains.co.uk

Maybe they do a special deal for skis. I've just priced up sending a 25kg bike-bag via UPS Standard to Italy - £127. UPS always tend to be bastard expensive so no doubt there are better deals to be had.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    daviesee wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky.

Globespan charge £20 each way for a bike with a limit of 16kg and £8/lg excess!

Yes but Ryanair charge £40 each flight for the bike so they are still worse than Globespan, not many bikes would be much over 16kg even including a bag/box?
  • andymiller
    ralex wrote:
    Yes but Ryanair charge £40 each flight for the bike so they are still worse than Globespan, not many bikes would be much over 16kg even including a bag/box?

It depends, I reckon most people pack as much as possible into their bike bag.
  • daviesee
    ralex wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky.

Depends on the bike bag; a dhb Elsted Bike Box is 13.5kg on it's own! :shock:
    Even hyper expensive lightweight bags come in at 7kg and most lightweight bikes are 8-9kg so it is quite easy to go over 16kg.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    daviesee wrote:
    Even hyper expensive lightweight bags come in at 7kg and most lightweight bikes are 8-9kg so it is quite easy to go over 16kg.

Fair enough, but I was thinking of the bags/boxes that I have used :
    Ground Effect Body Bag 1.15kg
    CTC Plastic bike bag 0.8kg
    Regular cardboard bike box <3kg
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    ralex wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky.

Not a problem anymore! :evil:

At least I now have 20kgs with Ryanair 8)

Ryanair charged £80 for the bike instead of £40 but the flights were more than £40 cheaper so if I can get my money back, I will actually be better off! :P