Pain above left knee

alexgomy
alexgomy Posts: 48
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I've just started to get a dull pain right above my left knee cap after i've done about 16 miles or so. Its not so much painful more an irritating pain. I've not altered my riding position / seat post and i go out on my bike a lot, so i'm physically fit. I guess it could come down to a few things?

Anyone have any ideas / things to try?

Cheers.

Comments

• SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    see a physio.

+1 - this is probably the best advice.

That said, i had a similar pain in my knee for quite a while. It would happen after 10 miles or so on a bike and also if i used a cross-trainer. A physio told me that basically we as humans are designed to walk, not cycle or use cross-trainers, these are artificial movements that can cause stress in knees, hips ankles etc. At the time i was using flat shoes and after reading up on the internet decided to try a pair of Specialized body geometry clipless mtb shoes.

They have a slight wedge in the sole that angles your foot to reduce the pressure on your knee when cycling(this is what the marketing says anyway). After the first ride i noticed that it helped me quite alot and am now on my 3rd pair without any knee pain in last few years. I've also given up using crosstrainers in gym as well

Hope this helps - I would still recommend you see a physio first

JD
  • Cheers for the replies. Yeah i thought physio might be the answer. Already run clipless pedals. But i'll try tightening / slightly altering the position of the cleats because i have read that it could be down to slight movement in the cleats on downstroke.