Tub cement

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Being a tight arse I wonder if anyone knows a more readily available glue that serves the same purpose as tub cement. Tubes are totally uneconomical and tins go hard or costs bomb. I am working on the principle that tub cement is a commercial adhesive packaged for the tyre people. Agreed they may by it by the thousand gallon. the old Clement stuff was good.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Tins needn't go off if stored well - wipe the thread of the can/cap clean when dinished, store in cool place. A tin will last many years like that.

You can pick up tins for £5 at bike jumbles/rallies, etc/

Some people use Evostick impact adhesive. At one time 3M made an adhesive for car body trim that was highly sought after by track riders for their tubs.

You want a glue that remains flexible and doesn't go hard enough to crack, but also doesn't soften too much when heated (braking or sunshine)
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Thats what I needed. Pity there are no jumbles etc within miles of here in the Forest of Dean.

And thanks for reading. Every other forum reply just said tape.