soft shell tops

speedo
speedo Posts: 115
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
can anyone recommend the best top for winter cycling ?
Looking for warmth / wind resistant and possibly water repellant
Budget up to £80

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You're looking for the holy grail of outdoor pursuit jackets!! A softshell isn't designed to be waterproof. Wndproof and breathable, shower resistant if you're lucky.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Do a bit of googling for a good price on a Gore Phantom. I've got one and it's fantastic !! It's warm, windproof and certainly water resistant. It's not fully waterproof, but it's very good !!

I've had mine for about 12months and can't fault it. I think I got it from Rutland Cycles, it was about £88 I think.
    The other option is the Endura Windchill.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32194
    I've not tried this one, but it's £68 at chain reaction and from what I've heard is just as good as the Gore Phantom.

If you want a fully waterproof sort shell, you're going to have to stump up £140 ish for the Endura Stealth, my mate has one and swears by it !
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17903

Cheers............ Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Garry H wrote:
    You're looking for the holy grail of outdoor pursuit jackets!! A softshell isn't designed to be waterproof. Wndproof and breathable, shower resistant if you're lucky.

Rapha Soft shell winter jacket £240 :shock: awesome and it IS waterproof, windproof and breatheable. I have one and they are lovely, look good off the bike too!

Assos do some nice ones

Failing that Parker's have Giordana soft shells in 'windtex' which I rate quite highly, they are warm only need a baselayer under them
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    Having used the Endura windchill over the last 2 months I would highly recommend it. If you train hard and tend to sweat a lot this is ideal as it isn't fully waterproof, so is ver breathable. The wind protection doesn't disappoint either so with a decent base layer I find it ideal, even at lower temperatures!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    MattC59 wrote:
    If you want a fully waterproof sort shell, you're going to have to stump up £140 ish for the Endura Stealth

this.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Slightly over budget but I have a Gore Oxygen SO and it is awesome. Cost £108 from wiggle.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • speedo
    Thanks to everyone for their response
    Now given me a good choice - heading off to my LBS at the weekend to try a few on for size
  • Pazman
    Pazman Posts: 36
    Endura stealth is just tip top mate . Cost £150
    I Like to ride my bicycle , i like to ride my bike
  • Just so you are sure Stuff
  • Garry H
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Rapha Soft shell winter jacket £240 :shock: awesome and it IS waterproof, windproof and breatheable. I have one and they are lovely, look good off the bike too!

Assos do some nice ones

Failing that Parker's have Giordana soft shells in 'windtex' which I rate quite highly, they are warm only need a baselayer under them

What you have then is a compromise between a softshell and a hardshell. Warmer than a hardshell, not as breathable as a sofshell. It's basically a better looking waterproof, ie a fashioon accessory ;o)

None of the Assos windproof tops, eg 851, Fugu etc are advertised as waterproof as well.

EDIT: Your jacket isn't waterproof it's water resistant, ie it's treated with a DWR coating that will eventually fail and wear off, but can be re-applied. However, the beauty of any softshell is that it will keep you warm and comfie even when wet, as long as you keep those legs spinning.
  • I recently got this windproof and it's awesome! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30361
    Obviously it's a ladies one but can't fault it for being amazingly windproof, toasty warm but breathable, and also theoretically water resistant/showerproof.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I can't fault my £15 Aldi softshell.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I can't fault my £15 Aldi softshell

Got to agree with this. I bought two of the Aldi softshell winter jackets LAST year and they are fantastic.Windproof front panels ,warm,quick drying, good fit,high soft collar,plenty of pockets. The ones sold this year were pretty rubbish though by comparison.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I use an Altura Night vision, in fact been out tonight with it, windproof, warm and really comfortable, you should get it for under £60
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I would sweat profusely in the Nightvision waterproof one. presume you are talking about the windproof one.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    sturmey wrote:
    I would sweat profusely in the Nightvision waterproof one. presume you are talking about the windproof one.

Yep
  • Lots of folks on hear rate the Gore phantom . Heres its little brother . Only £1 over budget.

http://www.tgstore.net/contest-jacket-p-2404.html
  • Garry H
    Steveorow wrote:
    Lots of folks on hear rate the Gore phantom . Heres its little brother . Only £1 over budget.

Would also recommend the Gore Oxygen SO.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    Steveorow wrote:
    Lots of folks on hear rate the Gore phantom . Heres its little brother . Only £1 over budget.

I've got this jacket and it's great apart from only having one rear pocket. For longer rides where I want to store more food I just wear a cycling jersey underneath with 3 rear pockets. Either that or I wear my Oxygen SO which I love but is £20-£30 over your budget.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Not as racy looking, but I use the older brother (minus hood, which they don't make anymore for some reason) of http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... WO-WIN.htm which is around your budget,

Not waterproof but toasty warm, and practical off the bike as well. If it's proper raining I'll go with a full on waterproof, or stick a gillet in my back pocket if it's somewhere inbetween.
  • speedo
    Bit the bullet today and purchased a Endura Windchill jacket
    Read recent reviews and it came out as 8 out of 10 which is good enough for me.
    Thanks to all for advice / comments
    Good to see the Forum works
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Good choice the only reason i went for the stealth instead is because i do lots of mtbing! im sure you wont be dissapointed!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • speedo wrote:
    Bit the bullet today and purchased a Endura Windchill jacket
    Read recent reviews and it came out as 8 out of 10 which is good enough for me.
    Thanks to all for advice / comments
    Good to see the Forum works

8/10 :shock: Going by certain mag's reviews i'd say that was shocking :wink:
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Another vote for the Gore Contest SO Jacket. Described as shower proof but I have worn this in prolonged heavy rain and been bone dry underneath. Was good last weekend on a ride in the lakes where temps were pretty low and biting winds were coming down some valleys.

Was out today for 4 hours + with light rain and the temp at about 7/8 degrees, had it unzipped all the time as it was too warm (just a base layer underneath).

Like the chest pocket so I can chuck mobile phone and keys in there and the rear pocket is roomy enough for some food and a mini pump.