Wiggins to Sky

2»

Comments

• plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Kléber wrote:
    Name me three riders who were bought out of contract in recent times...

Team Astana to Team RadioShack. Many of the riders were under contract. We do not know whether Astana took cash but i would suspect that somethign changed hands. Also interms of tapping up, Lance performed an entire season of tapping!

Professional sport is just that a business and no-one ultiamtely loses out from these types of transactions. The new team gets their cyclist and the old team gets their money, a good team is always prepared and if Garmin is half the team they purtain to be Vaughters has already mapped out the outcome post Wiggins departure as well as that if he stays.

As for Wiggins being worth it, he is a great sportsman, very focused and single minded. His Olympic performances were something quite special and considering last year was the first where he really tried to compete for the podium you would have to say he enjoyed considerable success.

I am not sure Brailsford truly believes he can beat Contador anyway and perhaps that is not the aim. All I know is that Team Sky is one of the most lucrative options in the history of cycling. The sport works on exposure and consideraing the title sponsors being a global news corporation I am sure whoever follows Team Sky in terms of sponsorship will pay the most, ebenefit the most and in turn fund the greatest ever cycling team.

Next year the team needs a competitor rather than guaranteed champion as if that was the case they would have bitten their tongue and signed Contador. I would be very surprised if Wiggins doesn't join.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    plectrum wrote:
    ... if that was the case they would have bitten their tongue and signed Contador. I would be very surprised if Wiggins doesn't join.

What? Shouldn't Sky be concerned with Wiggo's questionable blood values?

According to Dr. Jakob Mørkebjerg, Sky should bite its tongue over the Beatle wanna be.

Come on, the texas cowboy and bertie the wonderboy are not only ones that make us sit and wonder.

And, if we take Wiggo's tweets seriously, he must be 50 pounds overweight given all the booze he pounds.

That said, you have to love the Wiggo.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    plectrum wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Team Astana to Team RadioShack. Many of the riders were under contract. We do not know whether Astana took cash but i would suspect that somethign changed hands. Also interms of tapping up, Lance performed an entire season of tapping!

The riders tended to be under contract to Bruyneels management company rather than Astana. Contador was an exception to this. Others contracts had finished etc.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

The riders tended to be under contract to Bruyneels management company rather than Astana. Contador was an exception to this. Others contracts had finished etc.
    Is that the same Bruyneel who was under contract with Astana but lured to the Shack?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Tchmil: "I think it's very bad that a new team like Sky goes around thinking they can buy up riders who are under contract. It's something we never did last year out of a matter of principle. Contracts exist because they have to be respected,".

Swift has been ordered to Katusha Hq on Tues - same day as Sky meeting - to find out what is going on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • plectrum
    Bakunin wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    ... if that was the case they would have bitten their tongue and signed Contador. I would be very surprised if Wiggins doesn't join.

According to Dr. Jakob Mørkebjerg, Sky should bite its tongue over the Beatle wanna be.

Bakunin, Stop posting drivel. This is speculative info regarding LA, which possibly could be down to dehydration through diarhea. I am not saying either way but taking a bite out of Armstrong is an easy way for publicity and this is often what drives fame hungry people. I don't know about you but countless times i have been on a bike and taken one too many energy gels and finished the day needing to sit on the loo for 30 mins!

As for Wiggins, there seems to be a follow on quote: "he also made a note that Wiggins had a rise in heamoglobin values when there should be a drop. He then said that it was noteworthy but it didn’t necessarily mean that much." Also by the end of le Tour, Wiggins HB also ended lower which is as expected. Finally hasn't Wiggins shown Brailsford his blood levels for years and years and years. Which is different to other riders who when under scrutiny suddenly in their career have a large increase.
  • plectrum
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I was chatting to my postman this morning and we said much the same about Wiggins. He'll be a marked man now.

I think Contador and A.Schleck will be the two main marked riders which will leave opportunity for the likes of Evans, Armstrong, Basso (if he rides), Sastre, Wiggins.

If the peloton take their eye off either Schleck or especially Contador to mark those named above then they will ride clear into the sunset.

This year a lot of riders were in top form and Contador destroyed them without even flexing.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Ms Tree wrote:
    [quote="Moray Gub

As far as Wiggins goes i think he is being overhyped a bit and unllikely to repeat his this years perfomance so to that end now is the time for him to cash in if he can. I suspect that if he could go to Sky he would and i wouldnt blame him he has to make hay when the sun shines as the TDF route will probably never be as favourable to him again I doubt we will see the GC riders taking 10 days off mid race like we did this year.

I was chatting to my postman this morning and we said much the same about Wiggins. He'll be a marked man now.[/quote]

How can you say he is overhyped? You only have to se his results in several olympics and this years Giro and TDF to see he is class and has the mental ability to reproduce the results and do not forget he is still only 28!!
    I suppose as your postman agrees then you both must be right :D

Oh and do you think the teams are stupid enough to give out good contracts unless they are pretty sure they will get results and a good return. Maybe your postman friend should be team manager!!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Tchmil: "I think it's very bad that a new team like Sky goes around thinking they can buy up riders who are under contract. It's something we never did last year out of a matter of principle. Contracts exist because they have to be respected,".

Swift has been ordered to Katusha Hq on Tues - same day as Sky meeting - to find out what is going on.
    and flee post race doping controls in the mid 1990s out of matter principle :D Andrei. What Sky is doing is ok...they're at least worth the benefit of the doubt given brailsfords interview with Kimmage and his teams' lack of +s over the track racing years
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Ms Tree wrote:
    [quote="Moray Gub

Oh and do you think the teams are stupid enough to give out good contracts unless they are pretty sure they will get results and a good return.

I dont really think a team giving a good contract is a good indication of how well a rider will perfom, there are loads of examples of riders getting a big wedge but not perfoming.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405

How can you say he is overhyped? You only have to se his results in several olympics and this years Giro and TDF to see he is class and has the mental ability to reproduce the results and do not forget he is still only 28!!
    I suppose as your postman agrees then you both must be right :D

Oh and do you think the teams are stupid enough to give out good contracts unless they are pretty sure they will get results and a good return. Maybe your postman friend should be team manager!!

I never said he was overhyped but I DO think that the reaction to his ride this year was over the top considering he doesn't really stand a chance against Bert and Shleck minor and he WILL be marked next year.
    Also if you had read what I said properly I didn't say anything about contracts but IMHO he gets a contract because managers know he will do well in TTs and prologues.
    As far as I can see everyone on here thinks they should be a team manager, including your good self.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Tchmil: "I think it's very bad that a new team like Sky goes around thinking they can buy up riders who are under contract. It's something we never did last year out of a matter of principle. Contracts exist because they have to be respected,".

and flee post race doping controls in the mid 1990s out of matter principle :D Andrei. What Sky is doing is ok...they're at least worth the benefit of the doubt given brailsfords interview with Kimmage and his teams' lack of +s over the track racing years

As soon as the team hired Nygaard, the moral high ground was abandoned. Hiring Sean Yates was when they started digging. I also find their disregard of contracts held by other teams as distatseful.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    plectrum wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    plectrum wrote:

Bakunin, Stop posting drivel. This is speculative info regarding LA, which possibly could be down to dehydration through diarhea. I am not saying either way but taking a bite out of Armstrong is an easy way for publicity and this is often what drives fame hungry people. I don't know about you but countless times i have been on a bike and taken one too many energy gels and finished the day needing to sit on the loo for 30 mins!

As for Wiggins, there seems to be a follow on quote: "he also made a note that Wiggins had a rise in heamoglobin values when there should be a drop. He then said that it was noteworthy but it didn’t necessarily mean that much." Also by the end of le Tour, Wiggins HB also ended lower which is as expected. Finally hasn't Wiggins shown Brailsford his blood levels for years and years and years. Which is different to other riders who when under scrutiny suddenly in their career have a large increase.

Didnt Wiggins did say he would also be releasing this British Cycling data from the last few years? but for some reason it never didn't happen. Personally I like to believe he is clean but if Armstrong said the same thing but didn't follow through people would be going nuts.
  • moray_gub
    Timoid. wrote:

I also find their disregard of contracts held by other teams as distatseful.

Welcome to the world of professional sport .
  • moray_gub
    Ms Tree wrote:

I never said he was overhyped but I DO think that the reaction to his ride this year was over the top.

You didnt say he was overhyped it was me and i stand by that, i am reminded of that old idiom about swallows and summers . Make the most of it Wiggo it aint gonna last mate next year you'll be 30 mins off the pace.
  • Apparently according to lequipe Wiggins has signed with SKY:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=%7Cen&u=http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2009/20091121_122711_wiggins-signe-chez-sky.html

EDIT: I think it was blazingsaddles who just pointed out on cyclingnews forums that this could be the article from saturday that JV denied.
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

As soon as the team hired Nygaard, the moral high ground was abandoned. Hiring Sean Yates was when they started digging. I also find their disregard of contracts held by other teams as distatseful.

:D spot on :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    plectrum wrote:

If the peloton take their eye off either Schleck or especially Contador to mark those named above then they will ride clear into the sunset..

I think the only way they are going to keep their eye on them is if they have strong enough optical devices..

as for this sky......

WIATS!

getting bored of it all now...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Didn't Wiggins say being at Garmin was like playing for Wigan and he needs to play for Man Utd?
    He won't be signing for Sky then, surely they are the Chelsea of the cycling world.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    nottscobb wrote:
    Didn't Wiggins say being at Garmin was like playing for Wigan and he needs to play for Man Utd?
    He won't be signing for Sky then, surely they are the Chelsea of the cycling world.

bruyneel=fergie then?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • nottscobb wrote:
    Didn't Wiggins say being at Garmin was like playing for Wigan and he needs to play for Man Utd?

Chelsea Football Club, founded in 1905, had their first major success in 1955.
    Sounds like Sky.......
    interview.cyclingfever.com