Bottom bracket facing tool

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Any one got one that they would like to lend me?

I'll pay all postage and even provide some beer tokens!

The bike shop I would normally use (in cockermouth - see the news!) is under a few feet of water!

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    rowlers wrote:
    Any one got one that they would like to lend me?

I'll pay all postage and even provide some beer tokens!

The bike shop I would normally use (in cockermouth - see the news!) is under a few feet of water!

You'll be lucky - have you seen how much they are???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    Considering how expensive the tools are, its probably just as cost efficient to get a bike shop to face the frame for you. I know Evans will do it for £25 labour (Technically a bottom bracket service). And thats probably more expensive than you can find in other places.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    do you really need to do it? do spesh or giant or trek segregate every frame thats going to be fitted with external bb`s do it?
    who cares?
  • dave_hill
    I can't understand why you need to face a shell to fit an external bottom bracket - surely the soft spacers provided with the cups will compensate for any uneveness?

I've never once had a shell faced, and I've never had a BB fail prematurely.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • rowlers
    long shot I know :lol::lol:
    Vastly overpriced item, as I said my LBS is under water though, can't imagine Halfords carrying one :?

I'm tempted to just fit it anyway, whats the worst that can happen - premature failure of the bearings!?!
  • rowlers
    dave_hill wrote:
    I can't understand why you need to face a shell to fit an external bottom bracket - surely the soft spacers provided with the cups will compensate for any uneveness?

Nicklouse would almost certainly disagree :lol::lol::lol:
  • dave_hill
    rowlers wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:

Nicklouse would almost certainly disagree :lol::lol::lol:

I don't doubt it, he probably disagrees with himself (hiya Nick... :D) . But from personal experience, what can't speak can't lie, yadda yadda yadda.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • rowlers
    Well I'm off to carlisle tomorrow (if roads are open and/or not washed away!) and have choice of 3 bikes shops. Will call ahead to see if any can fit me in!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have seen some shell faces way out of parallel - to the extent that axle wouldn't even push through. If you want your bearings to last longer, face the frame.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    rowlers wrote:
    I'm tempted to just fit it anyway, whats the worst that can happen - premature failure of the bearings!?!

Other riders will notice and snigger at your unfaced laziness.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    It's £20-25 to face the frame and £35 for a new BB inside a few months.

Your choice.
  • rowlers
    Disc mount, BB shell faced and head set cups pressed in £18!!
    Yippeee!!!

Top effort to Scotby cycles carlisle!