Help me lose weight.

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Looking for any help. I want to take part in some race's next year, so i need to lose weight off my bike.
My current setup is

On- one 456 16" frame
RS Revelation dual air fork
Wheelset: hope pro 2 hubs mavic en 321 rims 32h maxxis advantage tryes.
Thompson stem seatpost,charge spoon saddle
unbranded bars
Tecktro brakes.(rebranded shimano deore)
8 speed drivetrain
Crappy sr crankset.

Any suggestions would help. Cheers

Comments

• Budget? Personally I look at getting some kind of Alloy frame.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you ride hard, do you need the strength?
  • Only have a small budget, also i would really like to keep my frame (which i have been told is a bit heavy :( ) I don't ride particually hard but a bit of strengh would be nice. It has to last.
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    What is your budget?

You could spend a few hundred quid on XTR throughout and, Bobs Your Uncle, weight lost. Doubt that's a viable solution though.

I would say that money would be well spent on the crank set, especially if you think it's pretty naff already.
  • I have seen a full xt setup (barring the wheels) for £500 that would probably be my MAX budget and some, however not really sure if it will make that much difference.

My realistic budget, without bashing the credit card would be around 350
  • supersonic
    Soooo - do you need strength and how much, what terrain do you ride?
  • TBH Supersonic my bike is the only one i have so the terrain i ride is varied. My riding could be woods one day and the quarry thats near to us the next. I guess you could say i need strengh.
  • Don't forget, you can up your budget by selling off your old parts, if ther're in good nick!

Might count towards something :D
  • supersonic
    The wheels, whilst heavy, are tough and are probably worth keeping though check the weight of the tyres.

Similarly the fork is light and pretty tough. Steel frames are always heavier, and the 8 speed drivertrain will add a bit on.

I'd buy a new bike if you could house two. Keep this as the hardnut, then get a nice racy XC hardtail.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Exercise more

Eat less
  • Surf-Matt
    Sorry - just being a PITA :twisted: :lol:
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    RIDE more

Eat less crap

amended :)
  • I wouldn't worry. I do tend eat to much and exercise to little. :D:D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    No matter what it's going to be a horrible race bike. Sorry, but it's true. But then a proper race bike is often quite horrible for day to day use.

The first thing to do is weigh stuff, if you want to enter the church of the weight weenie. Take it all to bits, find out what's heavy and what's not. Tyres are quite often a surprise, I thought my old wheels were incredibly heavy til I found I had 1050 gram tyres :roll:

TBH trying to make a lightweight bike out of a 456 is like trying to make a sportscar out of a landrover. But that's not to say there's no point trying to make a landrover faster ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Tyres is the first place I'd look. After taking a sh1te that is.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Surf-Matt
    Agree with tyres - saved 200grams and the original weren't even heavy.

Drivetrain lightening gets very pricey.

Possibly get decent bars, maybe a lighter saddle and pedals are worth looking at.

The frame is fairly heavy and heavy duty so don't go mad.
  • Northwind
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Drivetrain lightening gets very pricey.

Mmm. That standard one might be an anvil, and SLX is back down to nice prices- though I have to admit I don't know if it'd work with the rest of the drivetrain being 8-speed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    new frame, fork and some lightweight tyres? on-one have deals on rebas at the moment...
    a lot of work if you want to swap between them though.

does anyone have any experience with how the 456 performs with the shorter forks?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bike-a-swan
    or- ti 456 frame, drops what, a pound and a half?
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    throw the seatpost and saddle way, tape a sponge onto the frame, save quite a bit and v cheap upgrade.
  • Northwind
    new frame, fork and some lightweight tyres? on-one have deals on rebas at the moment...
    a lot of work if you want to swap between them though.

Rebas don't save a vast amount over Revelations, not considering the cost of the forks. Better spent elsewhere IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    why has no one asked how much the op weighs? if he can lose 1/2 a stone its the same as 7lbs off the bike. oh yeah forgot to add slx will work with 8 speed.
    who cares?
  • supersonic
    Because he wants to lose weight on his bike? it is not the same as losing weight off yourself.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If you do want the drivetrain upgrade here you go
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Deore-XT- ... c5fe71db41
    bang on budget.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Thanks for all the replys guys. TBH i would like to loose a bit of weight myself :oops: but i think i'll start with the bike. It seems like the best way to lighten the bike is to start with the drivetrain.
    So now i have to decide on which setup

Full XT including brakes £500
    or
    SRAM X9 gearing, truvativ chainset and avid juicy 7 brakeset Around £370

After much deliberation the frame will probably be replaced at a later date, After all the new stumpjumper frame with 140mm travel is lighter than my on one frame. :shock:
  • I've got a 456 and scandal frames. Although I didn't believe it when people said it, it really makes a heck of a difference having a lighter "snappy" feeling frame when you're wanting to get moving quickly and stay moving quickly.

A lot will depend on your weight and strength though- the thing I've realised after swopping and changing frames and components over the last few years is that at 5'9" and 9.5stone I'm just not strong enough to really muscle around a bike over 30lbs all day.

So if you are bigger and stronger (strength and fitness) the 456 might be ok for what you're asking about- if so, try a new crank and tyres if as already suggested- might be able to loose close on a kilo depending on what you've got now. It's never going to be a racer though!

However, my suggestion would be that for £350 you could buy a £200 alu frame (scandals still at £200- should be ok with your fork) and still afford a new cranks and tyres! Doing this has made a massive difference for me, but I enjoy taking bikes apart and re-building so it wouldn't bother me to rebuild the 456 if I was going away and needed something a bit stronger for a weekend. That way you get 2 bikes for the price of 1 bike and a frame!
  • bike-a-swan
    Northwind wrote:
    Rebas don't save a vast amount over Revelations, not considering the cost of the forks. Better spent elsewhere IMO.

they really don't- i'd never noticed quite how close they are..
    scrub that idea then.

thinking laterally, what about the kit you ride in/with? some shoes weigh a lot more than you notice, and i'm pretty sure my bag is up there with some road bikes at the start of all day rides. If it's short racy rides you're doing, particularly in the better weather (if it ever gets here!), try stuffing everything in your pockets, water in a bottle grab some disco slippers and go