Charging Phone and GPS

pimptovimto
pimptovimto Posts: 56
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
Folk's I know there have been other threads about this but they are a bit above my head as I know nothing about this subject.

I am doing a tour next year and want to keep my phone charged as well as keeing a GPS tracker charged. The tour is 2000miles + and I will not have any regular power points to plug into for any longer than 10 minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as the correct type of device to use, makes and models would help a lot.

If it matters the ride will be done in the height of british summer time and my bike is a Dawes Galaxy Plus

Thanks

PV

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The problem is getting power and the answers are not easy.....

I use a "Power Monkey" and it can be solar charged, but in this part of Europe the sun cannot be justified. Plugging it in at stops etc also cannot be guarranteed so this limits its usefulness.

I tend to B&B so this is not a problem

The only compromise I can suggest is something like the "Power Chimp" which uses readily available AA batteries to provide the energy for the charging.

6080218x.jpg

There are also other options, just google "battery USB charger"
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Folk's I know there have been other threads about this but they are a bit above my head as I know nothing about this subject.

I am doing a tour next year and want to keep my phone charged as well as keeing a GPS tracker charged. The tour is 2000miles + and I will not have any regular power points to plug into for any longer than 10 minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as the correct type of device to use, makes and models would help a lot.

If it matters the ride will be done in the height of british summer time and my bike is a Dawes Galaxy Plus

Thanks

PV

Where are you going that makes access to power sockets so difficult?
    More problems but still living....
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I cycle camped across europe this summer with a small collection of electrical bits and pieces - the only answer is to grab power when you can and then only use the device frugally if it cannot be powered from disposable batteries - sometimes means taking a risk charging things in toilet blocks at campsites, sometimes the campsite will do it for you (for a charge) - get a blue 3 point adaptor and charge from caravan hook ups when available - sometimes you can get away with it for free - however the fee is normally quite small and if you only do it every 4 or five days then it is not a significant cost

I have tried to keep a PDA charged using a solar panel but it was never very succesful even when the sun was out all day

when wild camping you might just as well foget it

My policy is if possible to use devices that will take disposable batteries - my gps takes AAs but is not all singing and all dancing, my camera will take AAAs if necessary - my phone is off for the majority of the time between short duration position updates to home - my netbook only comes out when I have a good source of power or it becomes essential

It does though become a real pain - are these thing worth both the weight penalty and the hassel - that is up to the individual
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    Looks like a bottle dynamo and some ' kit ' from these fellas may be the way... http://www.pedalpower.com.au/index_files/Page685.htm

Disclaimer....Ive not read the info so may not actually be a usable product

Andy
  • The E-WERK coming very soon If you go to B&M site go to catalogue/accessories/ E-WORK. A bit of fettling to get the appropriate plugs on the cables unless your kit has a micro usb port. Run off a hub dynamo should fit the bill.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I used the powermonkey recently and found it absolute s***! The mini usb connector just came apart so couldn't charge my garmin. The unit itself wouldn't charge all the time. Looks and seems like a great product and might be if they could build a decent qulality one. Also i had already sent back the first one i recieved because it was broke out of the box.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Dahon are releasing a hub based charger:

http://www.dahon.com/news/releases/08272009.htm
  • As always thanks for all the replies. Lots to ponder

PV
  • Kobie
    Kobie Posts: 19
    Also consider getting either a new phone or a new battery for your existing phone. New batteries hold their charges for a lot longer.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The E-WERK coming very soon If you go to B&M site go to catalogue/accessories/ E-WORK. A bit of fettling to get the appropriate plugs on the cables unless your kit has a micro usb port. Run off a hub dynamo should fit the bill.

never mind coming soon, here now :roll:

I considered the options, and the E-Werk was my choice

It gives you USB socket, and mini and micro USB plugs, plus a couple of bare end cables to wire up to whatever else you might like to use. One should probably go onto something that will take a set of coaxial power plugs as swappable tips.
    I figured it's main advantage is that it will give a decent amount of power. USB supply is somewhat hamstrung by the specifications (500mA, 5V), which mean that you'd be looking at a charging time of about 6 hours riding for 4xAA. B+M suggest powering a Big Bang HID light from the E-Werk (with a buffer battery to keep the thing lit if you stop, as HID lights don't like being switched on & off), so I figure it should power any mains or car battery charger that's in the 2 hour range.

As well as the pedalpower (from SJSC) and the Dahon offering, there's the ZZing (like a powermonkey that's kept charged from the hub), and The Plug - add a USB power terminal to your bike.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I have a PowerChimp and I've found it absolutely excellent. A really really useful piece of kit. My phone and my iPod are both, in theory, USB chargeable devices but I've still to find a charger that would charge both of them - except the Powerchimp.
  • andrew_s
    The trouble with powerchimps, powermonkeys or similar devices is that they need feeding. All they really are is carrying spare batteries in a form that isn't instant use in the way that just sticking a spare battery in your device would be.
    A GPS will use 2xAA every 2 days or thereabouts. A powermonkey will recharge them maybe 3 times, after which you need to charge the powermonkey. If you've a powerchimp you'd be better off just opening it up and borrowing the 2xAA that it contains. So, after 8 days at most, without a substantial period of mains use your GPS dies for lack of power. If you have other power requirements (PDA, camera, ipod, phone) you just lose power quicker.

Pimptovimto was looking for 3 or 4 weeks of power without any mains availability for longer than 10 minutes.
    I reckon he's got to generate his own power via a dynamo, or he's got to take half a dozen AA rechargeables and a 15 minute charger, stretch his stops a bit, and hope that the charger doesn't kill the batteries too quickly.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    andrew_s wrote:
    The trouble with powerchimps, powermonkeys or similar devices is that they need feeding. All they really are is carrying spare batteries in a form that isn't instant use in the way that just sticking a spare battery in your device would be.
    A GPS will use 2xAA every 2 days or thereabouts. A powermonkey will recharge them maybe 3 times, after which you need to charge the powermonkey. If you've a powerchimp you'd be better off just opening it up and borrowing the 2xAA that it contains. So, after 8 days at most, without a substantial period of mains use your GPS dies for lack of power. If you have other power requirements (PDA, camera, ipod, phone) you just lose power quicker.

Pimptovimto was looking for 3 or 4 weeks of power without any mains availability for longer than 10 minutes.
    I reckon he's got to generate his own power via a dynamo, or he's got to take half a dozen AA rechargeables and a 15 minute charger, stretch his stops a bit, and hope that the charger doesn't kill the batteries too quickly.

That is why I suggested the PowerChimp as opposed to the Monkey. It an unideal solution to a problem as many GPS etc now have inbuilt batteries and are unabble to use the AAs. The PowerChimp or similar ... even DIY versions.

The additional advantage is that it can extend life whilst on the move for unexpected long days.

The advantage with AAs is that they are universally available, often in the most remote places.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • andymiller
    andrew_s wrote:

I was also suggesting getting the PowerChimp as opposed to the Power Monkey. Nothing wrong with the PowerMonkey, but the solar charger seems too underpowered to be worth the trouble.

My post was in response to the person criticising the PowerChimps. I had in mind using the PowerChimp in conjunction with a dynamo charger and not instead of one.

Yes you need to charge the batteries, but you can charge them either with a USB charger in a campsite toilet, or connect the PowerChimp to a solar charger (mine works successfully with my Silva II solar charger) or with a dynamo charging device - I'm hoping to use mine with a pedalpower universal charging lead and bottle dynamo. From what you say, it would work perfectly well with an E-WERK. It's a very flexible solution. pimpmyvimto wouldn't have to carry a load of unnecessary batteries - he could simply charge them using his dynamo and his PowerChimp.

Yes of course if you have a device that takes AA batteries then you use the PowerChimp to charge the batteries and then simply swap them over. Unfortunately, the batteries that come with the device are only 1800 mAh (although they are long life) so you'll probably want to swap them for higher capacity rechargeables.

AA batteries are as ubiquitous as you can get. If all else goes wrong you can pop into a shop and get some non-rechargeable ones (well OK assuming there is a shop and it stocks AA batteries). I'd far rather have an AA-battery powered device than be dependent on non-standard lithium-ion batteries.

Ideally I'd like to have a charger that charges every device I have and which I can use with a solar charger etc. I've yet to find one. As things stand, a PowerChimp is the best compromise. I use it primarily to charge AA batteries for my GPS and secondarily to recharge my iPod. I save the weight of carrying another charger, and I can recharge my IPod in my tent rather than having to leave it in a toilet and worry about it getting nicked - so what's not to like?
  • Hi have a power monkey and the new more efficient freeloader pro.

Solar panels aren't the most efficient on the powermonkey although battery is very good/high capacity. Only problem being I can only seem to get a maximum of half charge on cloudy days.

Freeloader pro has a smaller internal battery but will charge to full on cloudy rainy days, 6-8 hours for full charge on sunny day this can almost double on wintery cloudy days. If charged indoors(through window) can take a bit longer. Even with the slightly smaller battery it can charge PDA/DVD players/cameras/mobile phones and even my tom tom. had two full mobile phone charges out of the internal battery. It can also be charged from any USB point/USB type charger so pretty versatile.

Solar panels on freeloader PRO do seem much more efficient and battery/solar panel are self contained and less fiddly in use. It also has two voltage settings for charging the DVD/camera high load equipment.

The Powermonkey Solar Panel can be connected directly to device to be charged as well though so if seperate battery is fully charged you can still top up any device taking advantage of good weather opportunities.

Both items items charged much better outside though ! Which can be ideal strapped to a bar bag/pannier bag during a tour.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • andymiller

Unfortunately the website doesn't give the output of the device. My guess is that it would work well for devices that you only use intermittently, but probably not practical for devices like a GPS. But I emphasise that that's only a guess.
  • andrew_s
    andymiller wrote:
    My guess is that it would work well for devices that you only use intermittently, but probably not practical for devices like a GPS.
    That was my thought. Visions of spending 2 hours cranking the handle every night.
  • http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/f ... 2v/feature

3 minutes winding gives 9 mins talk time on mobile, or longer standby time see above link

Peter
  • andrew_s
    There you go - a 1:3 ratio
    To run a GPS for 6 hours means 2 hours cranking (perhaps)