Shipping a bike from France to UK - any cheap options?

Tallboy
Tallboy Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Has anyone got any advice on the best way to ship a bike from France without breaking the bank. In France it's all done on size and comes in excess of 200 euros. If anyone's done it for cheaper please let me know how.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds about right.

done the same way in the UK.

you would be better asking the locals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 200 EUROS is soooo expensive. God I thought it would be 100 euros at the most. I'm officially in a real pickle.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you know what thought did!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pity you can't cycle the Channel Tunnel.
  • Where abouts in the Uk are you and where abouts in France is the bike? If its not too far-

ROAD TRIP! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    For 200 euros you could get a flight there and pick it up. :shock:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Where abouts in the Uk are you and where abouts in France is the bike? If its not too far-

ROAD TRIP! :lol:

Don't you mean booze cruise :D seriously an alcohol and tobacco run, maybe a bit of christmas shoping may cover the cost of the trip :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • as said, depending on where abouts in france it is you could get a cheap crossing on one of the ferry companies, normally something like £25 a car for a day trip on the deals??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I'd google freight forwarding services and call around for a few quotes. Some of these guys fill a container with different people's stuffs and then send it when it's full. You may have to wait a while, and make a local drop off/pick up but perhaps an option. For sure I'd fly and collect rather than pay 200 for delivery.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'd go pick it up myself sod 200euros get them to meet you at the ferry port and go across on foot and ride it home

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!