I've sinned - chain has rust

2»

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    BentMikey wrote:
    I don't think it really matters how you maintain your chain, provided you do it regularly.

I may have seen the light. I may be converted.

Last night, with sod all else to do, I cleaned the chain again. Dragged it through a rag til the rag didn't get filthy anymore, put some drops of oil on, then wiped off the excess. Took all of 5 minutes.

Every time I clean it the hard way (ie. waiting til there's rust) I tell myself just bloody do it once a week or once a fortnight. It could be the message has got through!

I'm quite proud of myself.
  • RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    Waddlie wrote:
    Onan wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    I use a Park Tools chain cleaner filled with Muc-Off to clean my chain.

Then wipe down with a rag to dry it off, possibly using the Mrs's hairdryer if I'm feeling lazy.

Lube, and go.

Now that's chain-related sin.

I don't get it. What's wrong with that? that sounds like perfectly good maintenance to me.

I used to think it was ok too, until I came on this forum and learnt that chain cleaners are BAD and Muc-Off is BAD (and RLJing is BAD and other people in ASLs are BAD and not riding in primary is BAD and hi-viz is BAD and bright lights are BAD and dim lights are BAD and not having pedal reflectors is BAD and not going commando is BAD and taking photos of your bike with the chain on a chainring other than the big one is BAD and peds are BAD and....)

+1 :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I too have sinned. Went out yesterday after a week off with the cold to find some rust on the chain and cluster :(
  • my commute bike's chain/sprockets are a black gunk....
  • You could always fit a stainless steel chain, like the Wipperman fitted to my Felt, albeit I got mine for ~£30 at Ribble 18 months ago, before the bike bits silly season price hikes started!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Tyredocter wrote:
    Get some looseoil from a hardware shop The caramel coloured WD40 Penetrating Oil will make it happy then lube as normal Using a paint brush to brush oil on all four sides is what I do

On all 4 sides, why? The side plates don't need lubricating... that will just attract dirt etc.