Helmets

1235»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've done a couple pf Sportives, Gran Fondo Cymru, Cheshire Cat and the Aqueduct Challenge. I dont recall that helmets were required - but then again I do wear one.

Frankly its rubbish all the claims that 'that crash would have killed me if it hadnt been for the helmet' - the roads were not lined with dead cyclists 25 years back when helmets werent readily available.

That said - I dont notice my helmet and it doesnt look too bad anyway.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    cougie wrote:
    I've done a couple pf Sportives, Gran Fondo Cymru, Cheshire Cat and the Aqueduct Challenge. I dont recall that helmets were required - but then again I do wear one.

Frankly its rubbish all the claims that 'that crash would have killed me if it hadnt been for the helmet' - the roads were not lined with dead cyclists 25 years back when helmets werent readily available.

Thanks Cougie - an answer to my original question! It only took 7 pages. Well done everybody. :roll:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    cougie wrote:

Thanks Cougie - an answer to my original question! It only took 7 pages. Well done everybody. :roll:
    You did not have to read all the pages and it is something you could have found out yourself.
    You can always take the risk and pay and turn up to find you need a helmet but then you can't ride as you don't own one.
    Or as you say you can just ride with your mates and forget sportives, best choice i think.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would rather ride with my mates, or on my own than wear a helmet.

It's not about what YOU want. Never was. As far as the organizers of the event are concerned they want to run an event with the least amount of risk of serious injury.
    Your opinion of helmets doesn't matter in the least to them. They don't care whether YOU
    plan on riding or not. Although I'm sure they would love to have you as a paid participant.
    But YOU will do what you will do. You can "bandit" the ride and not wear a helmet, you can pay your money and not wear a helmet, you can ride with your mates or not. This whole thing is a non issue. I personally think that you're trolling. If you're not, well, then try and remember that there is nothing special (or cool) about whether you wear one or not. Not that many people care(if any at all).
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    cougie wrote:

Thanks Cougie - an excuse. Well done everybody. :roll:
  • FFS 7 pages of off-topic trash. Perhaps a heavy stick of moderation might be a good idea?

As constructive input I think people doing the Ardechoise and Ronde Van Vlanderaden (Tour of Flanders) are not compelled to wear a helmet, but I believe it is 'advised'). So maybe a trip over the channel is what you need! However it is more expensive than buying a helmet.....
  • Moderation on what? I think the peeps on here were trying to tell BTB that getting a helmet was the path of least resistance. Frankly I think Freehub started it and someone else then escalated. But we all got a good rant, which is healthy, and BTB learned 1 important thing:

Just buy a helmet and move on.

Then we can entertain more serious threads like "how to wear a helmet" or "helmets make great shopping baskets at the supermarket and other uses"
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Moderation on what? I think the peeps on here were trying to tell BTB that getting a helmet was the path of least resistance. Frankly I think Freehub started it and someone else then escalated. But we all got a good rant, which is healthy, and BTB learned 1 important thing:

Just buy a helmet and move on.

Then we can entertain more serious threads like "how to wear a helmet" or "helmets make great shopping baskets at the supermarket and other uses"

I never started a propor argument at all, I just wanted an answer and I got one eventually, but then someone had a go so I replied again. At the end, I recently posted, it's the truth tbh, that's exactly what he wanted to hear, an excuse.

Just because I'm "freehub", and people think I'm an idiot, don't mean I have less right to partake in an argument than anyone else, if it was someone else that posted the same posts as me, I'm sure they'd get no stick at all.
  • To clarify the situation, some cyclosport events in the UK require helmets to be worn as a condition of their insurance cover. This applies to my event: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Challenge (http://events.norvil.net/aqueduct) and hemet-less riders will be deemed to have abandoned. Requirements vary from event to event so check the terms & conditions of entry and ask the organiser if you have any doubt. Audax events do not require helmets to be worn.

Most cyclosports in France, e.g. La Marmotte, Etape du Tour, require helmets and a certificate of fitness signed by a doctor.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    stanthomas wrote:
    To clarify the situation, some cyclosport events in the UK require helmets to be worn as a condition of their insurance cover. This applies to my event: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Challenge (http://events.norvil.net/aqueduct) and hemet-less riders will be deemed to have abandoned. Requirements vary from event to event so check the terms & conditions of entry and ask the organiser if you have any doubt. Audax events do not require helmets to be worn.

Most cyclosports in France, e.g. La Marmotte, Etape du Tour, require helmets and a certificate of fitness signed by a doctor.

Thanks Stan, much appreciated.
    I personally think that you're trolling.

It was a genuine question, Dennis. I've got better things to do with my time than bait people on forums. I just wanted to tap into the vast amount of experience on the forum. isn't that what it's here for? :roll:

If it's such a non-issue, then surely not posting would have been your best option?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    In every event I've entered it has been mandatory to wear a helmet. Saying that, you often see people with them hanging on their bars when they start climbing, and I've never heard of anyone being pulled out for that. In at least one event I also had to sign a document promising to ride considerately.
  • cougie wrote:

um i gave you at least one on page 3, as I think did others. it frankly isn't a big issue it's mildly anoying at most. all things being equal will I chose a sportive that doesn't force me to wear a helmet? but like wise i will not strike off a sportive just because they are.

I have thought for quite some time that one things helmets are absoulty with out question good for is flame wars.

ie chill people, go for a ride...