4 Ways...

Chunkers1980
Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I take off my SRAM PC-991 Chain with powerlink. Clean via usual method. The chain can fit on 4 different ways (3 not including the way round it was) does anyone know what effect this might have on wear/alignment. I undestand the single speed method of even number teeth front and back the the issues that causes but what can happen on a 27 speed system?

Comments

• ?

Don't understand what you mean.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well, if you fit a chain with a power link as opposed to Shimano pins, the chain is able to fit on the bike correctly 4 different ways round. 1. Just fit it. 2. from the just fit position you could turn it around (top to bottom). 3. You could reverse it. 4. From position 3 you could now turn it around (top to bottom) hence 4 different ways. With Shimano ones when you have a pin sticking out you generally to save faff need to have the pin facing towards you so you can turn the tool to insert the pin, if you always have the pin facing you, you can only have the chain in 2 different positions, otherwise the chain would face the other way around with the pin in a direction making the tool harder to get in there.... Now with powerlinks you have the possibility of fitting the chain in 3 other positions (from whenthe chain was new and you fitted it), with a pin sticking out and always inserting the pin with it facing you there is only one other way the chain will fit....
  • It doesn't matter.

Surely it's just two ways though?

Because when you fit it at the top it is the same as if you fitted at the bottom, because you can spin the cranks???
  • Nope - it's defo 4 different ways... just checked with tha piece of paper...
  • I think it could matter though. If a chain is on the same way, most wear will occur in the torqued areas (probably the bottom part of the pins towards where the drive is). If the chain is reversed, so pulling from the other end, the wear will now happen on the opposing side to before.... Anyone see what I could mean?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    it really doesn't make much of a difference - most chain wear is 'stretch' from the plates around the pins wearing.
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    Well, if you fit a chain with a power link as opposed to Shimano pins, the chain is able to fit on the bike correctly 4 different ways round. 1. Just fit it. 2. from the just fit position you could turn it around (top to bottom). 3. You could reverse it. 4. From position 3 you could now turn it around (top to bottom) hence 4 different ways. With Shimano ones when you have a pin sticking out you generally to save faff need to have the pin facing towards you so you can turn the tool to insert the pin, if you always have the pin facing you, you can only have the chain in 2 different positions, otherwise the chain would face the other way around with the pin in a direction making the tool harder to get in there.... Now with powerlinks you have the possibility of fitting the chain in 3 other positions (from whenthe chain was new and you fitted it), with a pin sticking out and always inserting the pin with it facing you there is only one other way the chain will fit....

Have you been taking lessons in confusing people from my wife?? :?
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • I'm confused :lol:

2 ways surely?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Bignige wrote:
    Well, if you fit a chain with a power link as opposed to Shimano pins, the chain is able to fit on the bike correctly 4 different ways round. 1. Just fit it. 2. from the just fit position you could turn it around (top to bottom). 3. You could reverse it. 4. From position 3 you could now turn it around (top to bottom) hence 4 different ways. With Shimano ones when you have a pin sticking out you generally to save faff need to have the pin facing towards you so you can turn the tool to insert the pin, if you always have the pin facing you, you can only have the chain in 2 different positions, otherwise the chain would face the other way around with the pin in a direction making the tool harder to get in there.... Now with powerlinks you have the possibility of fitting the chain in 3 other positions (from whenthe chain was new and you fitted it), with a pin sticking out and always inserting the pin with it facing you there is only one other way the chain will fit....

Have you been taking lessons in confusing people from my wife?? :?

I understand what he means but I don't think it makes a difference.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    guys get a peice of paper with an arrow or something on one side...its definatly 4! 1) arrow on top facing right 2) arrow on top facing left 3) arrow on bottom facing right 4) arrow on bottom facing left...all different ways the chain can go round. but still wont make a difference just wanted to prove theres 4 ways :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I beleve it to be four too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    doesn;t make a difference. rollers ROLL. The clue is in the name.