Am I mad?

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I've been grinding through the mud and clay on my Fury for the last couple of weeks with the FSR sat in the shed for fear of ballsing up the linkages and bearings because I don't have time in the morning to walk the dog/run/ride/clean the bike/shower/eat/get ready for work. That is unless I get up at 5.30 which would and has been winding the other half up.

Am I mad for thinking about going out all week and only cleaning the chain and then going out at the weekend and cleaning the whole bike? Will it balls it right up? I've had FS bikes before but kept them for relatively mud free use but I'm tempted to say stuff it.
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• I've always done that with my bikes, I just keep the chain and fork stanchions clean between 'proper' cleans.
    About the only thing I find wear out more than mates, who clean religiously, are jockey wheels.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    What he said ^^

I cleaned my Rize in June and then again last week. The drivetrain is sterile but really, a bit of dirt does far less long-term damage than weekly sessions with water and chemicals.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Same as above.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • spongtastic
    good, glad others think the same as me. Quick wheel swap when I get home and it's all ready for the morning.

• If I ride in the wet (99%) of the time and the bike gets caked I clean it with the hose, much easier and gentler to get it off whilst wet than scrubbing with a brush.

Its a bike, its meant to get dirty. It gets dirty, things break. Live with it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • spongtastic
    can't use a hose as it's on the other half's new block paving and she's not too keen on getting it muddy. Plus the dog tries to eat or roll in it if there's anything 'interesting' :shock:

• Muddying the block paving... For shame.

You need to man the fu*k up my son.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • spongtastic
    Can't be bothered with petty arguments. I've got 2 sheds and 45 ft of garden where I can make as much mess as I want.

Plus it really is the dog that's the problem, ever had to wash a border that's just eaten sh*t and then rolled in it?

• The other advantage of not cleaning is that it could be pouring with rain on your next ride and it gets cleaned 'for free'.
    There is something incredibly satisfying about getting back from a ride with a bike that is cleaner than when you left. ::D
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    We've got quite a badly built garden, it's all at a 15 degree slope and the imported topsoil is very thin over what's mainly sterile rubble. So, I consider it my duty to bring home at least 20 kilos of quality mud from my rides and hose it off in the back garden- landscaping by bike.

Bikes are tools, the only thing you can do with a tool that's wrong is leave it in the shed to rust without making use of it. Maybe you'll wear it out, maybe you won't. The bearings are all replacable if it does happen, and Specialized do make pretty good bikes y'know, any bike that can't deal with a bit of mud isn't fit for purpose really.
    Uncompromising extremist