Anyone cycle across the Severn bridge last night?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
I was tucked up in my car, but had I been cycling... do they ever close the cycleway?

Comments

• on the old bridge used to see motorbikes at 45 degres....
  • If they do close the cycleway then what are cyclists supposed to do to get home to the fatherland? I ain't going via Gloucester, that's for sure....

Bike all the way back to Parkway, and try to get a train with room for a bike?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    tav1969 wrote:
    If they do close the cycleway then what are cyclists supposed to do to get home to the fatherland? I ain't going via Gloucester, that's for sure....

Bike all the way back to Parkway, and try to get a train with room for a bike?

Suppose you could always walk it if it's too windy
  • Not if the cycleway is closed, question is do they ever close it in the afternoon if it has been open in the morning?
  • craker
    <bump>

Anyone? I'm up for the commute tomorrow if it's not a stupid idea. The news people keep whining on about how bad it's going to get though.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Not sure, cant find any info on their website.

Try emailing customer.service@severnbridge.co.uk

I do know that they sometimes close it completely. Last year ice was falling off it in sheets when the thaw happened and smashing cars, so they'd definitely close the footpath too i'm guessing.
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    Not sure, cant find any info on their website.

Try emailing customer.service@severnbridge.co.uk

I do know that they sometimes close it completely. Last year ice was falling off it in sheets when the thaw happened and smashing cars, so they'd definitely close the footpath too i'm guessing.

I am looking to commute across the bridge next year (cycle to work scheme) so would be very interested to see if they close the footpath and at what point. I have just sent an email to customer services so will post the reply on here.
  • I recieved a mail on Friday, apparently the footpath is not controlled by the Severnbridge as it is a public footpath. The local police are only allowed to close it. One side is for walking and the other for bikes, motorbikes (upto 50cc) and maintenance trucks. Looks like I will be commuting as of next year.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Thanks for the info :)
    us0.png
  • it does get shut from time to time as well as for certain periods of the year. very rarely find you cant cross on atleast 1 side but it does happen due to workmen or weather. not that it actually stops you from using the path, just becomes abit of an obstacle
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • craker
    One side is for walking and the other for bikes, motorbikes (upto 50cc) and maintenance trucks. Looks like I will be commuting as of next year.

Is that right? You see maintenance vans on both sides, cycle path signs both sides, peds both sides; I've only ever seen motorbikes cross the upstream side though.

Crossed tonight in a gusty wind with driving rain; quite exciting :-) Exchanged a wry grin with a maintenance chap, something to the effect of 'this is pretty nuts but at least I'm being paid for it'. At least that's what I assume he meant... Got quite wet again. :-(

I think the hardest crossing has been when a strong wind was right in my face and it made the climb to the high point of the deck pretty tortuous.