Shocking things you've seen on your commute or at work?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Right, so I just got up from my desk to strecth my legs. Standing by the radiator to warm my legs I gaze out of my window onto Leather Lane and look directly at the now closed fruit and veg stall.

With a bike perched against the lamp post there was a cyclist hunting through the trash for fruit/vegetables discarded amongst the many boxes around the stall. Of the ones she could find she puts them into her pannier and scurries through the boxes again. She didn't seem to be dressed too shabbly either, like she came from one of the offices around the area.

Not the most shocking thing I've seen ever, but i've been looking at a computer screen all day.

Have a tale to share?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I saw a space craft last week, it swooped down over the fields near Poundon and just scooped a cow up and then shot off towards Oxford, whilst the farmer stood watching in his green welies. Amazing - a real farmer in green wellies. I ask you.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ever found out that someone forgot to lock the work's shower door? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Ever found out that someone forgot to lock the work's shower door? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yep, I've been both the person who discovered that they forgot to lock it, and the person who forgot to lock it!

Fortunately the shower in question was in a frosted glass cubicle inside a wet-room, so it didn't really matter.

At my old work, when travelling in Finland with the company's head of credit and a couple of others, went out for a summer party at which the head of credit took his shirt off to reveal that he had a full elbow-length shirt of tattoo. That was a bit of a shock, but quite cool!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD

i think you witnessed a "freegan"....

http://freegan.org.uk/
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right, so I just got up from my desk to strecth my legs. Standing by the radiator to warm my legs I gaze out of my window onto Leather Lane and look directly at the now closed fruit and veg stall.

With a bike perched against the lamp post there was a cyclist hunting through the trash for fruit/vegetables discarded amongst the many boxes around the stall. Of the ones she could find she puts them into her pannier and scurries through the boxes again. She didn't seem to be dressed too shabbly either, like she came from one of the offices around the area.

Not the most shocking thing I've seen ever, but i've been looking at a computer screen all day.

Have a tale to share?

Nothing shocking about that, she must be one of those Freegans :?
    I've got a mate that "claims" to have not bought any food for the last 3 years or so, just rocks up at the super markets at closing and has a root around in the trash :shock: Strange that I've never been round his place for dinner :o.
    Back to the point;
    The most shocking thing I've ever seen on the way home is the face on my boss every night when I over take he about 2 minuets after we leave work and he's sat in traffic again; priceless! :twisted:

Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    Must type faster! Damn my fat fingers :lol:
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I saw my fat fingers at work today :shock:
  • I went to the toilet on the train to discover the current occupant hadn't pressed the lock button. She looked mortified, as the close button didn't do anything till the door had fully opened.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    er DDD I have been known to do that when I was a squatter living in London back in the 80s
    It's amazing what people throw out
  • Porgy
    It may be news to some people but vegetables grow in the ground and are often covered in sh.it.

So the fact that they've been on the floor or in bins shouldn't worry you too much.
  • She might not have been collecting fruit for consumption. Maybe she is a keen gardener and wanted some organic waste for compost?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    daviesee wrote:

Yep, I've been both the person who discovered that they forgot to lock it, and the person who forgot to lock it!

Fortunately the shower in question was in a frosted glass cubicle inside a wet-room, so it didn't really matter.

At my old work, when travelling in Finland with the company's head of credit and a couple of others, went out for a summer party at which the head of credit took his shirt off to reveal that he had a full elbow-length shirt of tattoo. That was a bit of a shock, but quite cool!

I've been getting changed when i forgot to lock the door, someone got to see my back piece and just stood there open mouthed :lol:

I've got in the shower seen it's unlocked and scampered across
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Porgy
    I saw Hughie Green walk past my office once. That was quite shocking.
  • Having said that, I have Chinese friends whose parents used to pick up free fish heads and tails from fishmongers and free chicken feet/ pigs trotters from butchers, as these parts were considered inedible by the locals.

If you haven't tried it, fish head soup is great.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    You want shocking? Right!

*rolls up sleeves*

On the commute: Guy having a pee by a tree on the common, guy having a pee on the wall outside portswood Police Station. Woman having a poo on the common. Man and woman having a freeson (sp?) in a bush..

At work: Tampon, used, left on catering tray for me to clear up. Woman with her brain hanging out who had wondered down from neurological... Member of staff in the shower, door open, having a "grunt" on his willy. :lol:

Free fuit and veg dont even come on the radar here. :lol:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    this morning an Addison Lee driver performed a textbook over taking maneuver ..
    you don't see that every day!
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Shocking? Doing a course in Dublin trying to get qualified there in ireland as an Architect, and getting the bus back to the airport to come back to London, slowly moving in the traffic and going past a park where a couple of people were arguing it would seem, and looking like they were all drunk, then the man occasionally smashing his fist into a womans face. Tried to get the bus driver to call the Guards but don't think she did, Dublin bus drivers being the sensitive, charitable types that they are.

Probably about as shocking the time my mother saw someone drive a car into someone crushing his legs against another car, after they'd had a serious argument in the street in Brisbane (did this deliberately). Naturally enough she was quite upset. It was later in the papers about the court case...broke the guys legs I think.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
    1664 Posts: 25
    downfader wrote:

*rolls up sleeves*

On the commute: Guy having a pee by a tree on the common, guy having a pee on the wall outside portswood Police Station. Woman having a poo on the common. Man and woman having a freeson (sp?) in a bush..

At work: Tampon, used, left on catering tray for me to clear up. Woman with her brain hanging out who had wondered down from neurological... Member of staff in the shower, door open, having a "grunt" on his willy. :lol:

I can see why the scummers quote is apt for those southampton dwellers :?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    daviesee wrote:

No but I once worked with a Swedish guys who thought nothing of standing in the door way at the gym totally naked blocking entry or exit, whilst trying to have a perfectly normal conversation :shock:

Dude, no one wants to see that, ever!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    downfader wrote:

*rolls up sleeves*

Once again readers I warn you all to stay away from Hampshire its a weird place full of odd people :P

"grunt" tee hee :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Have a tale to share?

There is an EAT off St James's Square where tramps regularly come and hunt through the rubbish for sushi and sandwiches. Quite a healthy diet. There is normally a Bentley parked just there, to add a nice juxtaposition.

Last night at about 8pm I saw two Polish women (one very attractive) fighting over a sainsbury's bag whilst wielding vodka bottles. I told them to stop it and one informed me that the other was her 'girl friend'. One of the most bizare things i have seen for a while.
  • Porgy
    downfader wrote:
    Guy having a pee by a tree on the common, guy having a pee on the wall outside portswood Police Station. Woman having a poo on the common. Man and woman having a freeson (sp?) in a bush..

I saw a woman having a pee on the street last week near Welling Station - underneath the railway bridge with traffic rolling by right next to her.

She was about 20 and I just didn't know where to look :?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I work for the ambulance service and having been out third manning many times and taken thousands of calls I have seen and heard too many shocking things to name.

Funniest one was yesterday however when someone phoned in about their mum having breathing problems. I asked the standard question of if the patient was changing colour, the answer 'Well put it this way, she looks a bit like a smurf' :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Funnily enough I saw a well dressed man routing through a skip at the back of a posh hotel in a Mews where I work. I thought it was a little bit strange, as he clearly wasn't a tramp. Could possibly be that he was some kind of indentity thieft, looking for receipts or something.
  • Porgy
    Rich_E wrote:
    Funnily enough I saw a well dressed man routing through a skip at the back of a posh hotel in a Mews where I work. I thought it was a little bit strange, as he clearly wasn't a tramp. Could possibly be that he was some kind of indentity thieft, looking for receipts or something.

Could be the manager trying to find something he'd accidentally thrown out?

Or maybe he's an environmental advisor/ inspector - I find myself rooting through bins more often than I ever expected. :?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Downfader "wins"

BTW, was the "grunt" a US infantryman?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I once saw someone sober on Maryhill Road..... :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    When I was in the TA some years ago, my friends came back from a weekend on exercise telling me that 12 of them where in a ditch on look out and a car pulls up in front of them, and a couple get out and start having it on the bonnet.
    With the 12 of them watching just a few feet away.
    They all wanted to get up and clap when they had finished but could not without giving away where they were :shock: :D

They where the enemy that weekend for someone else.

Kicking myself for missing that one :roll:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Saw two guys hammering seven shades of s..... out of each other a few years ago.

The worst thing I ever saw was in the early 80's when I saw a BT engineer run over by a woman in an Audi.

....blood and guts everywhere.

Bob
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sicknote wrote:
    When I was in the TA some years ago, my friends came back from a weekend on exercise telling me that 12 of them where in a ditch on look out and a car pulls up in front of them, and a couple get out and start having it on the bonnet.
    With the 12 of them watching just a few feet away.
    They all wanted to get up and clap when they had finished but could not without giving away where they were :shock: :D

They where the enemy that weekend for someone else.

Kicking myself for missing that one :roll:

perfect opportunity for... "turn around" "over here" "Do you want some candy?" predator style shenanigans
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14