Cross - what criteria do you use to switch to mud tyres?

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
Greetings!

I was wondering - when do you switch to the mud tyres? It's too late once you've done the warm-up lap.

I'm running Vittoria Cross XG Pro and am going to switch to Michelin Mud - what do you think, is it time to switch, considering the rain we've had?

Interested in what criteria you use....

Cheers!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Given the rain we've had recently, unless you are blessed with free-draining sandy soil, mud tyres are almost a necessity. I was riding yesterday with a part-worn pair of tyres - my Tufo tubs had little grip last week and waiting for some new Schwalbes (lousy Royal Mail!)- managed to crash on the 2nd lap and spent a lot of time sliding around.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Montydog
    were you at Basingstoke? I went there for the first time and nearly died :D Great fun though, looking forward to next one in December.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    :shock: There are things called mud tyres!!! :shock:

Honestly, I never knew. 3 cross races in and I have been plugging around in the Kenda tyres that came on my Crosslight. This calls for Google!

Thanks guys.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I was at Basingstoke yesterday and had a great time. I was running a set of Schwalbe CX Pros (32mm) and didn't have many problems. I don't think they're mud tyres though.

I thought the BMX section was ace!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, I was racing at Basingstoke on Sunday and hope to ride at Southampton on Sunday. My new Racing Ralphs have arrived and will no doubt see some action. I still prefer tubs, but don't feel that spending another £80+ for a pair of tubs for 5 more races to go for the season whereas I will use the tyres throughout the year.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm using the Michelin Mud 2s. Found them very good (it's my bike handling which is the problem), even on a very muddy course in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    I find Michelin Mud works the best on the front, but hopeless on the back. They also clog up badly but somehow seem to keep working regardless.
    Cake makes me happy