hmmm, Should I of bought this ?

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited November 2009 in MTB general
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I just wanted a decent, strong, light and racey frame to bolt all my fancy bits to that are currently bolted to my fire mountain, which in all honesty is no more than a canal path cruiser and has had a bloody hard life over the last 2 years.

I've generally been looking at all kinds of oranges, scotts, Treks and Kona hard tails on ebay at around the same price while also considering the cheaper end of the brand new alloy frames at around 150 quid plus.

I know the kula is a few years old but I thought, alloy frames don't come alot better than Easton and it will sit nicely along side the full sus I want to get :D

What ya think ? Can't wait to get it to be honest lol :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So did you buy it?

Is a light, racy XC frame. Is that what you want?
  • -liam-
    Yup i did:)
    And its exactly what i was looking for. Couple of things played on my mind. The age. It is 5 years old and the price i paid. Not sure thats a big issue though as you won't get many good frames under 100 quid.
    How strong would you consider it to be and does it look like a nice buy?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Sweet frame! Looks like an excellent buy!

But also looks somewhat redundant to (and bigger than?) your current "sexy Kona". What are you planning - upgrading your current frame, a single speed build-up a la Hoathy?
  • -liam-
    How do you mean, redundant to?
    Its the same size as current sexy kona however different geometry, better material, lighter etc. Current sexy kona also has a suspected crack which will go away for testing and replacement which according to the shop could take a few weeks. The shop have said they will cut me a deal on a better frame or a new bike if it is decided that the frame is dead.
    The spec currently has moved on a long way since i hashed up the link below. Wouldn't read to much into that.
  • -liam-
    Had considered a single speed/pub bike but will keep my options open till i know if the frame is a dud or not:)
  • Harry182
    Redundant as in - are you planning to have two light, racy hardtails?
  • I've just been on your link. Nice bike. Did also notice someone selling a scandium Kona 29er frame on there. Oh no, I'm dreaming again. :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Harry182
    Liam - Just read your 10:22 post. (I must have been (slowly) typing when it came up.)

I was thinking the same. Seeing how you have your xc hardtail needs well sorted, I thought the Kula would make a really cool single speed fully rigid xc rig or commuter with tyre swop.

Check out Hoathy's for possible inspiration:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ngle+speed
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    the kula will be nice, i used to have a FM, but i never got to upgrade from original spec, i didnt have time, it got nicked 3 weeks after i got it!
    was a lush frame tho, a seriously beuty! that paint job! oh,oh,oh, it makes me feel sick just thinking about my lovely knoa that was. i seem to remeber it being a really nice frame o ride, smooth, stiff (in the right way) and agile, i had a 16 inch, it was like a play bike, sooooo much fun, if you want to get rid of it, provided it doesnt have a crack, i might give you an offer....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • -liam-
    I thought that is what you meant lol. To explain, The fire mountain is pretty much konas base spec so the frame probably as light and racey as it appears.
    I was aware of the possible crack in the current frame but didn't want to be bikeless for weeks while they decided so i went looking for something i could bolt all my stuff to without any messing which is what i've got but it is also a much better frame which i guess is a bonus. Make any sense? ;)
  • -liam-
    the kula will be nice, i used to have a FM, but i never got to upgrade from original spec, i didnt have time, it got nicked 3 weeks after i got it!
    was a lush frame tho, a seriously beuty! that paint job! oh,oh,oh, it makes me feel sick just thinking about my lovely knoa that was. i seem to remeber it being a really nice frame o ride, smooth, stiff (in the right way) and agile, i had a 16 inch, it was like a play bike, sooooo much fun, if you want to get rid of it, provided it doesnt have a crack, i might give you an offer....

I'll bear you in mind bud ;)
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I have a Kula Supreme, v nice bikes, nice quick handling, i'm running 85mm travel upfront and its razor sharp.

Good purchase. You will enjoy!
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • A bargain for 70 odd quid and despite the age, it's a clean frame.
    If I had been in the wings for a new hardtail frame I would most certainly have grabbed that
    I have the 2006 Kula and from experience can assure you the Kona Kula geometry works well.
    Well done on scooping an absolute bargain